Pulmonary embolism major cause of cardiac arrest in those with psychiatric disorders

In addition, proportions of patients diagnosed with schizophrenia and mood disorders were found to be noticeably higher in the PE group (2.53% and 0.55%, respectively) than in the AMI group (2.94% and 0.6%, respectively).

1 Like

I would like to know WHY a PE is more common in patients diagnosed with sz and mood disorders.

2 Likes

Did they say if its because we are on meds and that most of us smoke?

I don’t think that they really went into the cause. I read the article quickly and could have missed it but I don’t think so.

1 Like

It’s the meds, I know from personal experience. My mother had Altz. She didn’t want to eat anymore, so her doctor gave her an “appetite stimulant” which was re-labeled older generation anti-psychotic. By the time I caught what was going on and notified my dad, she developed a pulmonary embolism and died with in days. It well known not to give anti-psychotics to elderly people – they do it anyway. By they way if the moderators in anyway delete or modify this post, there will be Hell to pay. It is the truth and you know it.

1 Like

My cardiologist wants me to use as few APs as possible as they increase clotting risk. It’s also why we’re more at risk from COVID, it increases the chance of clotting, too.

2 Likes

My meds changes the rate at which my blood clots, so I have to be on blood thinners. I’m at higher risk of my blood clotting.

1 Like