Psych Ward Strategies

my longest stay was a 90 day evaluation. i was also brought in for a couple 30 day holds. in my case the length of stay seemed procedural regardless of my condition. i had hearings about early release but they never went my way

1 Like

They always let me out quick, probs bcoz they were running outta beds.

I’m always trying to make friends with everyone. I figure they sent someone up there to kill me . I get used. To people then they are ok with me. But I always have to befriend the new person so they won’t hurt or kill me.

1 Like

Befreinding people is a positive adaptation strategy, rather than what most of us do (avoid people, become reclusive). At least thats what I do.

2 Likes

It’s really out of desperation I get so paranoid and think my only chance of survival is to talk people out of hurting me. It’s kinda funny But it’s so frightening I’m on high alert all the time. Always looking for That patient that’s a paid hit person or just a crazed psycopath that’s been paid off.

1 Like

If you remain in fear while doing it and are suffering then I don’t see how that’s a positive adaptation at all!

1 Like

Don’t Know that it’s positive, but I do get relief when I make that positive connection with someone then it’s ok. Problem is the staff is always changing and new patients are coming in so there’s always someone I’m working on to be friends. Some people fly under my radar and I just have a trust with them. So the crazier someone appears the harder I am trying to befriend them. Staff included. Not saying this is a good strategy it’s just what I do because I’m so sick be when I go in.

1 Like

Guess if I didn’t do this I would get no relief from fear.

1 Like

The best example of what NOT to do. You should never say those words. I said that about three years ago; I didn’t mean it, I was just frustrated.
I told my therapist. It started a chain reaction that ended up with my sisters being scared and lecturing me about how that was not a intelligent thing to say. Usually a therapist is obligated to tell a higher authority when a “patient” threatens murder.

My therapist took it really seriously but he cut me a break because of my track record of being a pretty personable, sensible client and he knew it was out of character for me and that I am fairly harmless. So he asked a loaded question about was I really serious and he knew I would say No and of course, that’s exactly what I said. But he and my sisters took it really seriously.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the replies.

At a certain point, I was placed on conservatorship with a public guardian. Spent a little less than two years in two long term hospitals.

1 Like

It amazes me that you people in the U.S. have roommates in the psych ward.

I’ve only been in psych wards twice, but I didn’t have roommates, and I don’t think double rooms are the standard here.
But the hospital I was at last time had different psych wards depending on what was wrong with you, and I can’t imagine forcing psychotic people to share a bedroom, and thereby never have privacy, would be a good idea. In fact, that would be a very bad idea.

I also got the feeling that I shouldn’t ask people what they were there for.

1 Like

In a few hospitals I’ve been in where I had to share rooms each bed had a curtain you pull around your bed for privacy. My last psyche ward two years ago had all the men sleeping on little cheap beds in a dorm room. About 10 or 15 of us and each bed was about three feet away from the other guy. I was a little bit wary about falling asleep. I think people were afraid of me or actually it was more probable that they couldn’t figure me out and didn’t know if I was a danger or not.

Because the people laying on their beds in the vicinity all started acting crazy and agitated and started talking to themselves until I calmed down. One homeless guy flipped out one night in the bed about six feet from me when the nurse woke him up to give him meds. He started yelling and screaming at the top of his lungs and it took 5 burly orderlies to restrain him and stick him in isolation. It was quite a scene.

2 Likes

Wow, @77nick77

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.