Preparing for the 2017 U.S. Solar Eclipse

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/do-lunar-and-solar-eclipses-have-any-noticeable-effect-humans
"eclipses have always been capable of producing profound psychological effects."

"Effects of total solar eclipse on mental patients-a clinicobiochemical correlation."
“it is prolactin which showed an increase in titre associated with behavioural abnormalities in concerned patients during and immediately after the total solar eclipse. Deflection in both prolactin and behaviour gradually seemed to normalise over the post eclipse period.”

So, both the scientists at NASA and some scientists published through the National Institutes of Health seem to agree: A solar eclipse can effect us psychologically.

The first coast to coast solar eclipse in the U.S. in about 99 years is coming up on August 21st.
http://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/first-time-in-99-years-us-total-solar-eclipse-on-21-august-excites-scientists/90626

I live in something like a 97% area pretty close to the path of totality, so people may get a bit weird here. I’m in the Bible belt, so some people may even suspect Armageddon is coming with the whole ‘sun turned into darkness’ prophecy thing. Government agencies here are even preparing for a special travel event, with so many people expecting to flock to the eclipse on the roads. I’m trying to prepare a bit for what may be a bit of a rough patch.

If you don’t mind sharing, if you see what may be a rough patch coming on, what do you do to prepare? I’m planning to not drive and not interact too much with people for a couple weeks. Even normal people take a two week vacation sometimes.

1 Like

I’m kind of anxious about it now.
I don’t know what the direct effect will be on me?
Getting more and more worried over it.
What if the sun is blocked permanently!?!?!
These kind of dark thoughts are entering my head.

1 Like

Sorry. I didn’t mean to cause a problem. I thought that NASA and the NIH publishing it had a much bigger impact than anything I did. :frowning:

1 Like

I remember partially eclipess & found them wonderful.

Thie total eclopse will be totally experienced across a narrow strip if the country. My brother lives there = thought about visiting but I didn’t have enough snuff.

1 Like

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2017-august-21

shows areas of total and partial ecclipse

1 Like

Looks like there’ll be a 92% solar eclipse over our farm. Seems very fitting.

1 Like

Try not to worry about it too much @Wave. A total solar eclipse is really very beautiful and it is over very quickly.

“The longest duration of totality will be 2 minutes 41.6 seconds at about 37°35′0″N 89°7′0″W in Giant City State Park, just south of Carbondale, Illinois, and the greatest extent (width) will be at 36°58′0″N 87°40′18″W near the village of Cerulean, Kentucky, located in between Hopkinsville and Princeton.[6][7]”

7580885f-c729-420a-aa66-91a8834569bf-269-0000000ea8038d08_tmp

2 Likes

Oh well. I suppose that I never should have asked the question. I was asking people to share their personal wisdom about how to prepare for the ill effects of an illness on a public forum.

I don’t want to end up being impolite during the rough patch. At stake are little things like my career, my reputation in front of my friends, my reputation in front of my professional contacts, not burning my bridges, not having my judgment adversely effected too much on my (so far) successful stock investing, etc.

Since it is so important to me, I suppose I should just pay a therapist, and ask them.

I apologize. Perhaps my post should be deleted.

Wait so are we going to grow boobs during the eclipse? I don’t understand what’s going on…

I draw your attention to the phrase “behavioral abnormalities.” Normies don’t tend to be tolerant of “behavioral abnormalities” in social or business settings. Or anywhere but bars or places where people are under the influence, really.

Might explain the positive vibes on this forum as of late.

1 Like

"But these behavioural abnormalities were observed to start reducing in intensity gradually to become absent over the six post eclipse days"

6 days! Yay! We may be over the hump now!

The eclipse has just about cleared the United States. I’m still in one piece, and my slight emotional instability during the period did not lead to any disastrous consequences that I know of. A few small verbal arguments, mostly.

I hope to be back up to normal operating efficiency in less than a week.

Hopefully things went well for some other folks too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I did notice a weird motivational shift in myself

1 Like

I got some glasses to view the eclipse with from a friend who belongs to the local Astronomical Society that was passing them out. It was neat to see. I actually SHARED the glasses with housemates. (It’s not like me to share much). The only bad feelings I had about it was that before it occurred, I resented the power of the universe. I think it made me feel small. Too bad. This is life.

2 Likes