Practising perspective

Im practising perspective as its one of my weakest points.

If you draw a cylinder (tree stem), how do you know how flat the oval has to be on the top and bottom? If the cyllinder is drawn right on the vanishing point, the oval will be flat as a line, if it’s closer to you, it will be more round. Is there a way to find out how round?

3 Likes

I’m lost. What are you trying to do?

one sec ill draw what I mean

The cylinder on the ground will become flatter in perspective the closer the vanishing point, I think? But how to know how flat it will be on any given location between you and the vanishing point

Is it linear? Probably some equation you can find to figure it out. Would depend on your angle I would guess and some none linear measure

1 Like

diminution??? I think that’s part of what your talking about… Just saw something about that online. Can you find the correct scaling and just scale the roundness with whatever size the tree needs to be for perspective… maybe offset for your angle ?? Seems like it wouldn’t have to be perfect… Peoples brains are gonna do some of the work I think :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks, I’m gonna google that. I was curious if artists just feel it or if they calculate it in some way. I’m guessing maybe they start out observing it and it becomes intuitive after practice.

Yea… when I use to draw it was just intuitive but I never really got into the technical side of it. I use to like shootimg from the hip lol

Btw your still working in blender ?

1 Like

I’m doing more pixel art, I think I like it better but I may do some more blender stuff, right now I’m more into drawing.

That’s awesome man … do your thing bro!!! Next time I do some art I will share :grinning:

1 Like

If I start back game dev I might reach out if I get stuck on the art :performing_arts:!!!

1 Like