Physical performance is more strongly associated with cognition in schizophrenia than psychiatric symptoms

7 Likes

I never was a great one for exercising. Being called out for being physically awkward at gymnastics, and the last to be picked for sports teams at school, didn’t help. Also I find gym exercises are done way too fast for my coordination to cope with or are just too difficult.

There’s walking , but then I can’t go far because of my poor sense of direction.

LS! What do they mean with physical performance is known to be impaired in patients with schizophrenia? How about Nureyev? Or the soccer goalkeeper of Scotland? I myself was always the strongest of everybody in the gyms I went to. I did not go to a gym for five years but I joined a gym last month. I do eg leg extensions with 220 Lb, abdominal crunch with 200 Lb ( the maximum of the machine). And I am 61.

2 Likes

Where did it say performance was impaired? Many people with schizophrenia don’t enough exercise but impaired?!

LS! Sorry I did not mean Nureyev but Vaslav Nijinsky. It says physical performance is known to be impaired in schizophrenia in the first sentence.

You are quite right! Perhaps you and the people you mention are exceptions to a general rule. Not everyone is going to fit a general rule.

1 Like

Very interesting. You know I am big on the exercise for better mental health with sz.

1 Like

My fitness is good if I keep it regular. If I don’t then of course my fitness level goes down. Like normies too.

The difference is my motivation can be much lower so that may be a reason why physical performance could be impaired?

@Chess24 1515151

1 Like