Phentermine for weight loss

I gained 50 pounds last year after getting back on risperidone. I had my physical on Monday and my doctor prescribed phentermine for weight loss. It’s a stimulant. I’m surprised he suggested it, because it’s a controlled substance and I have an anxiety disorder, but I’ve been so down about my weight gain that I’m willing to try it.

I started on Tuesday and am already down 3 pounds. It really takes your appetite away. Now I need to make sure I’m eating at all.

Anyway, I need to be careful with this med to make sure I’m still eating a healthy diet. I also need to keep an eye on my anxiety.

An added bonus it that it helps with my ADD.

Has anyone ever take Phentermine for weight loss?

4 Likes

No, but thanks for the information.

1 Like

Sounds good @Gamera
I know you’ll be careful

1 Like

i took phentermine before i had ever experienced psychosis. i didnt need it as i was already super skinny but it was terrible, i felt weak and paranoid while exercising, super shaky and twitchy and thought random people were trying to hurt me when i was in the car getting food, also i vomited when i got home. it was basically like psychosis before i even knew what psychosis was, a few months later i had full blown psychosis which was the start of my sz

1 Like

That sounds like a miserable experience.

I do feel a little shaky on this med. A combo of heightened anxiety and eating way less than I was before.

My thoughts are still balanced though. I’m not having any thoughts of paranoia and persecution, which is good. We’ll see if it adds up though. Might have to stop if things change.

1 Like

it may not be as bad if stable on aps, i was in the prodromal phase when i took it. i used to have temporary voices then when i used weed but i ignored it because it was more subtle and i thought it was real being in a different environment and i was not acting erratic or anything. i gave it up quick once i went full blown then things kinda started to add up and make sense of the experience but at that point there was no denying something was very unusual

1 Like

@Gamera

In my opinion, your doctor should have never prescribed you phentermine. Phentermine causes irregular heartbeat, delirium, panic, psychosis, and heart failure. The drug is banned in the UK.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know it was banned in the UK. That gives me something to think about.

I’ve been diagnosed with panic disorder, so I was really surprised my doctor suggested it.

If I’m being honest I’m kind of taking it against my better judgement. I’m skeptical to say the least.

It’s been approved for use up to 12 weeks, so at least it’s short-term.

1 Like

190 lbs is not extremely obese. I know you want to weigh 140 lbs, but have you tried a change in diet and exercise? I’m 225, and I also want to get down to 140 lbs. Can you see a nutritionist?

I want you (and me) to lose weight, but I think there are safer ways.

@Gamera

1 Like

Kinda, with minimal success. It’s a challenge with ADD and depression. I’m just not managing to do enough to make a difference.

190 may not be a lot, but I’ve been consistently gaining since the start of the risperidone. It hasn’t leveled off yet. Just continues to climb while I scramble around to find bigger and bigger pants.

Thanks for your concern. You’ve definitely got me thinking about it.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, noting I’m known to be wrong on occasion, phentermine is horrible for people who experience psychosis and bipolar disorder.

If you have a pdoc, talk to them about it as a lot of primary’s aren’t well versed in psychiatric contraindications.

EDIT for disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, but I’d still encourage you to talk to your pdoc about phentermine.

1 Like