Pharma company Lannett raised price of schizophrenia drug (fluphenazine) by 1,650% over period of 3 months

A generic drug company has so far flown under the radar after jacking up the cost of a drug used to treat schizophrenia by 1,650 percent over three months.

Lannett dramatically increased the cost of fluphenazine, which treats some symptoms of the chronic mental illness, earlier this year as public outrage simmered over price-gouging drug companies such as Valeant and Turing, reported Forbes.

The drugmaker Mylan and its CEO, Heather Bresch, have also come under scrutiny for hiking the cost of EpiPens after the U.S. Congress encouraged schools to stock the emergency allergy remedy and some states made the brand mandatory in schools.

The prescription tracking firm IMS Health found the Philadelphia-based drugmaker sold 32,072 prescriptions of fluphenazine in the first three months of this year for $358,000 — yielding a net price of $11.17.

But the company sold 37,320 prescriptions for $7.3 million in the next three months — for a net price of $195.53.

Source:

Related News stories:

A bad news. Is it legal to do that?

1 Like

In the USA its common and no, definitely not illegal. Just immoral.

I’m on fluphenazine and it is just $3 bucks. I hope my insurance covers the cost of the hike !

it was cheap to begin with but yea thats bad

What. Utter. Douchebags.

I hope these prices don’t spill over to our other antipsychotic drugs. If that happens the public might have to deal with me homeless and panhandling aggressively on main street while I sing at the top of my voice. It isn’t pretty when I can’t get my med’s.