People Who Jump to Conclusions Show Other Kinds of Thinking Errors

Because much of the work on this bias comes from studies of schizophrenia (jumping to conclusions is common among patients with the condition), we borrowed a thinking game used in that area of research.

2 Likes

When I first learned about the 15 thought distortions listed in CBT it really opened my eyes. I was guilty of many of them. I still slip up once in a while but I’ve learned to think differently (better?) thanks to CBT.

2 Likes

According to your article

The most common cognitive distortions include:

filtering
polarization
overgeneralization
discounting the positive
jumping to conclusions
catastrophizing
personalization
control fallacies
fallacy of fairness
blaming
shoulds
emotional reasoning
fallacy of change
global labeling
always being right

I’m guilty of all of them :rofl:

3 Likes

lol, it takes time and practice to recognize your cognitive distortions and to correct them. It’s not easy but I do feel like my thought process is better now, not perfect, but better.

2 Likes

I associate these thinking errors more with depression then schizophrenia. The entire course of CBT is focussed on the exact same thinking errors, non-schizophrenic people have these problems too

1 Like

Yeah, depression, and anxiety too. In my case schizophrenia was mostly positive symptoms (hallucinations and delusions) which are not on that list. But CBT did help me with my depression and anxiety, and my thought process has improved for the most part.

1 Like

I’m a skeptic by nature, so I don’t jump to conclusions about anything. “Nothing is certain, not even that.”

2 Likes

I think looking at my cognitive thoughts and avoiding loose thinking is the number one way I can stabilize myself from recurrences. I may still have some breakthrough psychoses, perhaps. There is only so much I can do.
Of course I take medication.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.