People judge me because I have schizophrenia

People started lying about me. Now it’s a nightmare. They want me to be a criminal that makes them look good. They think you don’t have a life, and want

They want your life to be about stupid bs they come up with, to make them look good

My immediate family knows and they treat me the same. My mom also has the diagnosis of schizophrenia and we think my sister has it too but doesn’t have a diagnosis yet. When I told my ex he automatically assumed that I was an axe murderer or something and wanted to kill him and just wanted phone sex from me afterwards. I cut contact with him after that. My relatives know too but it hardly makes a difference cuz I only see a couple of them a couple of times a year. When I was working for my dad the people at the office knew too but treated me more like a friend and we’re really nice. I haven’t told anyone at school and am definitely not going to tell the place where I got a job lined up. They have a policy of the job can be terminated at a whim either by me or them. I also don’t tell the people at church either. Friendships in this country are typically so shallow and hard to make to begin with that telling people about schizophrenia just makes it worse

Thank you for all the responses. Its nice to know im not alone with all this.

Well, I tend to refer to the line from Lord of the Rings, “keep it secret, keep it safe”. I’ve told a few people, but it’s not my opening line, so to speak. After someone knows me for awhile and if it’s applicable, I’ll tell them. I haven’t been stigmatized by those because they already knew me.
I mostly keep it to myself otherwise because I know there is a stigma. People should know me first.

2 Likes

You are doing what therapist reccomend. Not telling people unless you know them real well.

1 Like

Be positive don’t tell everyone you have sz…try to find some good things about yourself and tell them… some people accept me being schizophrenic

I had a supervisor in the mailing business, who would stare at me all the time even after I told him I get triggered everytime he would stare at me. I had to quit because of him; I thought he was out to kill me and was plotting against me so I had to leave.

I find people are fine…only time I kept my diagnosis to myself was when I went speeddating…I wouldn’t tell a girl until we connect a bit…its just some people can be unenlightened…

other than girls, people have been fine with me…I say this will become the case for you too as youre only 19…a few more years will bring more wisdom…

Thank you for the support guys. i really appreciate it.

more nahs than yeas

When I was at the hospital a girl asked me what my diagnosis was I answered her schizophrenia she got all nervous as if I were a dangerous person since then I decided to not tell anyone what I have

This is precisely what I am talking about when all of you think only of yourselves and are limited in your vision. I am very open with my illness and the judgmental people will always discriminate you. It is up to us the stigmatized and weak schizophrenics to make something of ourselves, to prove them wrong. If you all keep having schizophrenia to yourself and never discuss it, the stigma will never go away.

Look how far the people with depression and anxiety have come because they have started talking about it years back. Schizophrenia’s stigma can only be reduced through the same way.

1 Like

Out of all the people who know I have schizophrenia I have my suspicion that only one reacted badly. The dude’s an in-law and I never see him at extended family gatherings. But I can’t say for certain that it’s because of me though. It could be there’s a beef going on with someone else.

Other than that possibility I’ve never had a problem.

Never lead with your illness. Don’t be all “Hi I’m @fender and i have schizophrenia” to people in real life. Let them see that you’re more than that first.

2 Likes

It really is a harsh thing having people misjudge you like that isn’t it?

Personally I also had people become afraid of me. That hurts. Most people who do this just think I’m weak for not pushing through and telling myself they aren’t real, but I can handle that at least

How awful. I’m so sorry that happened. :pensive:

2 Likes

I don’t tell anyone unless I know for sure they will be able to handle it. I’ve told maybe 2 people in my life. I usually just tell people I have depression and/or anxiety. Bipolar is the most I will tell anyone. The stigma isn’t as bad.

2 Likes

I don’t tell anybody I’m sz, that will most likely bring more bad than good.

1 Like

My art therapist is Russian. One time I had an episode…that means psychosis on my way to see her and she saw me at the worst time. After that she started acting weird. It’s like she is terrified of me. I’m a boogymonster in her eyes.

Don’t lead with your illness. If need be, tell others you have anxiety or bi polar. I’ve told 5 others about my illness and sometimes I wish I’d told zero. The stigma around it is too great to fight. My belief is that others don’t/ wont understand/ sympathize. I’m cynical but only from experience.

1 Like