Overreliance on imagination may be a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder

Confusing reality with imagination and losing contact with reality are two key characteristics that could play a role in the development of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). This is what we learn from a study conducted by researchers at the CIUSSS de l’Est-de-l’Île-de-Montréal (Institut universitaire en santé mentale de Montréal) and the University of Montreal, the results of which were published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology.

2 Likes

I have a severe difficulty with an overactive imagination, especially when it comes to my husband. I can convince myself of anything it seems.

OCD is one of the strongest pillars of my psychosis. Also curiosity. This keep me interested and focused on things that should clearly seem unreal and be disregarded.

I’m pretty sure I have OCD. I’ve been diagnosed at times and it’s been suggested currently and even hinted. But the strange thing is I don’t have outward compulsions. I don’t wash my hands or clean or do any stuff like that. I do have compulsions but they’re just different and perhaps minor. What I do have is intrusive thoughts and probably a newly founded and improved imagination that is strongly related to my delusions. I read that it’s called pure OCD; where one has obsessive thoughts but no pronounced outward compulsions. I think this relates to me well.

Although not diagnosed I have some OCD traits. My insistence re wanting a sex change was certainly very obsessive and might on hindsight be called an obsessive delusion , Although I am still ambivalent about that.
Certainly delusional thoughts can become very entrenched and one can fixate on them.
There can also be an obsessive quality to paranoia.

1 Like