Others are having a hard time understanding Negative Symptoms

People like my father and brother thnk that im lazy.

I try to explain that my lack of motivation is part of SZA and it is a symptom.

Just wish others would be a bit more understanding.

Its getting worse - I really am feeling like a vegetable, dont feel like doing anything.

2 Likes

Same here for me too…:alien:

1 Like

Same here, even my psychiatrist finds it weird when I always tell him that medicine doesn’t work and I can barely get up after 12 hours of sleep and even small things like making tea look almost impossible to do. It’s not laziness, it’s a symptom and currently untreatable. Looking forward to cariprazine, MIN-101 and others, a few years down the road things will get better for us too. It has to.

3 Likes

Cariprazine is already available I thought. It’s being sold as ‘Vrylar’.

True, but it’s not available in Europe yet…

1 Like

I think my family don’t equate my laziness with negative symptoms, but rather think that I’m just lazy. But at least they don’t give me much flack for ‘being lazy’

1 Like

Sometimes when I tell people that I have no drive or motivation they would just look at me and grin as if to say I’m lazy. I don’t like it when people think that way but on the other hand I can’t blame them cause I spend so much time in my room on my bed.

1 Like

I know both of u guys are from Europe…lol…:alien:
it will take time…though…:alien::alien:

3 Likes

Yes, I may end up trying Vraylar but am not looking forward to the added stimulation/akathisia

1 Like

My mom finally understands the difference between laziness and negative symptoms after explaining it’s like depression, you can’t move. But I’m more active now, things are getting better.

4 Likes

Laziness can be an effort to hide pain. Any buried injuries?

1 Like

I can’t say I’m very depressed(maybe mildly). Lack of drive and motivation has been an issue for years. Psychiatric notes c2003 have me mentioning it. I was told it could be a chronic symptom of my illness.
I think lack of motivation can have a lot to do with lack of mental energy. When you are not in that frame of mind you can do things which runs against the idea of it being merely laziness.

1 Like

Both sides of my family think I’m lazy because I only work part time. But I know my limitations. And I still make close to 30k per year. So I just carry on.

4 Likes

Where im from money defines you ,so you are a cool gent.

2 Likes

People don’t understand what they can’t see in front of them. People ‘understand’ positive symptoms a little more because they can see when it is happening to someone because of their erratic behavior. But negative symptoms are insidious, meaning others cannot understand them as well.

My teachers, my friends, my parents, don’t understand why it’s so hard for me to go to school. And yet every day I get up and make the effort to go to school, but I usually don’t succeed in that I miss the last class even though it’s my favorite I’m just so burned out…

1 Like

Even my pdoc has a hard time explaining or defining my lack of motivation to me.

There are very few effective treatment options against Negative Symptoms - I cannot take antidepressants because they will make me very manic and psychotic.

its tough but i find the only way to fight the negative symptoms is to have a mandatory schedule,
If I don’t have a schedule I will do nothing when im experiencing a negative wave.

caffeine helps to a degree, but if the symptoms are quite heavy then it doesn’t help as much.

1 Like

what you said is pretty much what i experience, can sleep for many hours and then small things still seem impossible hard to get motivated to do.
for me it comes and goes, so mine probably has a mood aspect, cuz i do have periods where i am highly functional and motivated.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m pretty sure my whole family thinks im lazy

1 Like

My ex boyfriend broke up with me due to my negative symptoms. He was very ableist and said I dont push myself hard enough. His way of thinking was I could somehow use another. Part of my brain to motivate me. Kinda like saying to someone with kidney disease to use another Part of the body to do whatever the kidneys do

3 Likes