One thing Haldol did not do

Maybe it’s not that bad for you, but it is terrible for a lot of people. I’ve never talked to anyone in person who liked Haldol, or the other typical AP’s. I would rather be dead than have to go back on that ■■■■ again.

I take 10mg of haldol it’s a lifesaver and I don’t get any side effects

1 Like

The first AP I ever tried was Haldol. It was miserable. I was up all night in my hospital room pacing the floor in a circle until morning. They took me off of it that very day.

I then tried another typical AP. I can’t remember the name of it. But when I awoke from sleep, my legs were stiff as boards. When the nurses saw me, they immediately put me in a sort of high chair for adults called a geri chair. They told me I had Neuroleptic Syndrome from the typical AP, which they took me off of.

They then put me on another typical AP, (typicals were all they had back then in the very early 90’s), called Trilafon or perphenazine. I tolerated this a little better but I tell you, it didn’t do a thing for my psychosis. Plus, it gave me a terrible case of akathisia.

In 1996, Risperdal came out and I was placed on that instead but even so, the psychosis and akathisia continued despite Cogentin. Over many years time on Risperdal, the akathisia lessened with Cogentin, but the psychosis still ran rampant until my doctor added Geodon and then, especially Seroquel. I have been doing pretty good on these three AP’s for the last 6 years.

1 Like

I used to be on Haldol 5mg PRN, recently pdoc’s upped the dosing to 5mg 3x daily. Maybe I’m coming across a little angry/hostile (it’s a possibility) but it seems like a fairly large jump. That being said, I’ve had no ill effects at all.

1 Like

I can’t believe all the people on this site saying Haldol isn’t bad. I’ve never talked to anyone in person who thought Haldol was okay.

1 Like

Geodon and Seroquel keep me mostly in line. A lot of people swear by Geodon. It’s not perfect, though. It does weaken me physically as much as a typical would. I am much more active on Geodon as I am on a typical, especially Haldol.

I must admit that I dislike Clopixol at doses abave 500 mg every 3 week that I’m on now but now it’s Okay. But just like you I must say that I almost enjoy being on Geodon and Seroquel.

1 Like