Obsessed with Emailing My Therapist

@CoCo
Great suggestion! I’ve done it before, but it’s definitely something I can practice more.

Here is a question for you - what if I feel like I have SO much to talk about in therapy that the hour in the office once a week doesn’t seem enough? How do I know what to talk about during sessions and what not to say? Sometimes I email my “extra” thoughts to give more information, clarify, or update.

Let me think about it

1 Like

It’s kind of the same thing with addictions. With impulsivity and thinking about it. I’m trying to quit an addiction. Tomorrow is day 13. I struggle daily. I want to do it daily. But the longer I go without it the better I feel.

Maybe like piano gal said a draft or journal. Maybe your therapist can help you.

1 Like

@CoCo
Okay. Thanks!

@anon18905566
Great job quitting your addiction! What coping skills are you using? I don’t know how to just stop, but I try!

I helped mine by putting controls that limit my ability to do it even if I want too.

In an emergency your husband could call your therapist?

1 Like

I could never have quit without the controls. I’m not controlling my finances right now for one.

1 Like

@anon18905566
Yes, this is what IOP meant by having my husband change my email password. Maybe we can do that. Maybe we can start by him changing it in the morning and letting me back on in the afternoon, or something similarly gradual.

You have to pick your battles too. I have other addictions I’m not working on. If you have other obsessive/ocd/impulses besides this one, I would probably discuss with your team how you should do it.

1 Like

@anon18905566
Yeah, I have contamination ocd. I’ve made progress in IOP, but I need to do more. Maybe we should just focus there for now. Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.