Obsessed with Emailing My Therapist

@CoCo
That’s the thing, I think about emailing him ALL the time, even as I go about my day. Good advice! I will try and be intentional about focusing on the task at hand and not thinking about contacting him.

2 Likes

@Winterblues
It sounds like things turned around for you after that therapist! It’s smart to come on here when you need help!

1 Like

They really did!! Opened so many doors, and it was all based off my choosing and judgement

1 Like

Do you have romantic feelings toward him? I’m just asking because you could bring that up to him too.

1 Like

I send messages to my pdoc on Viber. He never replies, but he reads them

@Om_Sadasiva
What’s Viber?

@anon18905566
I don’t, but I keep expecting to. He let me know I can talk to him about it if feelings develop and we’ll work through it, but none so far. Thanks though!

It’s an application with which you text or call others for free, using Internet

1 Like

That’s cool! Glad your dr reads how you’re doing!

1 Like

He’ll tell you if it crosses a boundary. If you dont want it to get to that point ask him to help you cut back on emailing him so much. He, or another therapist, are going to be your best resources on accomplishing that goal.

Good luck!

Thanks @Squanchy! I told my therapist at IOP today about it, and she has a plan to help me not email him so much. Hoping it works!

2 Likes

Good luck! 1515

1 Like

Louise are you still emailing him? how did it go?

Did they suggest for you to do something different?

1 Like

i can be that way too.

1 Like

@anon18905566
YOU ROCK!! Thank you so much for checking in on me! It means the world! You are a.w.e.s.o.m.e!

I asked for help at intensive outpatient program to stop emailing my therapist. I am at IOP for exposure therapy for ocd. They explained emailing my therapist is a part of an obsession and compulsion cycle.

They wanted to just cut it off (have my husband change my email password) and they contacted my therapist and told him never to respond to me BUT

My therapist disagreed with cutting off communication with me. He’s worried there will be an emergency and if I don’t think he will respond, I won’t reach out.

So, we plan to talk about it at IOP again this week, and my therapist is going to talk with them more.

It’s a hard situation. I email him too much, but if I stop, it’s risky.

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

thank you Louise. :slight_smile: I always wonder what happens when people say their struggles. Yes it does make sense.

Your therapist sounds like a good therapist. he cares about you and he’s nice because he doesn’t mind it when you contacts him a lot. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you posted. :slight_smile: I’m not sure what the right answer is. But if he is a source of comfort to you and you feel you can reach him in a crisis and he doesn’t mind the emails i can understand that. :slight_smile: That does make sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FlyingPurplePeopleMeeter I’m so sorry I forgot about the emailing. I’m glad you’re getting the help you need. I’m glad they didn’t change your password. I’m not sure that’s the solution.

1 Like

@anon18905566
Thank you for your support! He accepts the emails because he is compassionate and understanding! He knows I try very hard not to send them and he believes I send them because I need to. I am the one who is saying it is unhealthy. Whether or not I send one, I am still often thinking “I need to send an email. I don’t want to send an email. I can’t stop myself from sending an email. I have to get this thought out of me. I need help.”

1 Like

@CoCo
I know, right? IOP wanted my husband to take my phone away from me everyday, but we both disagreed. I’m with two toddlers, and I need it if I need to get a hold of someone!

But the emails do need to stop, so I am hoping I think of another way!

Please share any suggestions!

2 Likes

Can you write them but just save the draft and not send them?

1 Like