Schizophrenia.com

No rehabilitation services for people with sz

There are no rehabilitation services for people with sz to return to work. There is no training or anything in my county. Only for blind and physically disabled

2 Likes

Same here, its bs. Ive ranted about this problem lots in real life. There are private companies with gov funding to get you back into work -but they barely do anything to help. Maybe you can get a basic cert paid for (like pro-serve or whmis or useless crap that costs basically nothing and only gets you slightly above min wage).

Its ridiculous. Why would you not invest in us so we dont use il resources eventually through disability? Not to mention the right to live a normal life.

1 Like

I think it’s discrimination

3 Likes

You might be better off on your own trying to find a job anyways. That’s about how I found my jobs.

2 Likes

I think people look at us and think we look able enough
People physically disabled dont. And yes they do discriminate
They are afraid of us they don’t
understand
k

1 Like

I have problems I’d need help with at a regular job. Maybe I’m just not ready

1 Like

It’s sad that that is the case 44 years on from when I was first diagnosed with sz. I worked in the industrial therapy unit at the nearest big psych hospital . It was very basic work we had to do. Even so given my probable dyspraxia I struggled with quite a few of the more manual tasks.

Very few people graduated to proper jobs from it.

1 Like

Do you have Goodwill in your area? When I interviewed at a state facility recently, the receptionist told me she was placed there two days a week through a Goodwill program. I think they train people to get back into the workforce, besides working in their thrift stores. Maybe that is an option?

My local mental health community services board offers vocational rehab. Maybe you have something like that in your area?

It’s good you’re thinking of returning to work. I agree you should get some help if you need it. It’s a big step. I’m job hunting on my own and it’s a challenge.

1 Like

That’s a good idea @Shmookitty. I know they have a program for teens and young adults with autism. I don’t know that it’ll help me get back into an office job and right now I’m having trouble leaving the house but I’m trying to leave the house more