New Intracellular Dopamine Receptor Function May Offer Hope to Schizophrenia Patients

A new function of intracellular dopamine receptor (D2LR) has been discovered by a Japanese research group led by Dr. Norifumi Shioda and Tohoku University Professor Kohji Fukunaga.

In the study, D2LR is localized to an intracellular compartment such as early endosome in neurons. The growth hormone receptor (PDFGβR) mediates the intracellular localization of the dopamine receptor. The intracellular dopamine receptor then elicits persistent activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK).

D2LR-mediated ERK activation is associated with the neuronal excitability of dopamine neurons in the brain. And because the intracellular D2LR signaling through ERK activation improves motor coordination and body balance, the research team believes that drugs that target the intracellular D2LR could be used to help patients with Schizophrenia and Parkinson’s disease.

Source:
http://www.tohoku.ac.jp/en/press/hope_to_schizophrenia_patients.html

2 Likes

I thought it was iti 007 …Nope …Really scientist know a very little about the illness…Yo it can be fruitful tho’ eventually…!!!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this! Another hopeful read

1 Like

I don’t have issues with motor coordination and body balance. This article uses a lot of technical language, it might as well be written in japanese with how well I understand it.

I think that was just a couple of the other functions of the D2 receptor, that is why altering these chemicals could be beneficial in treating Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s. It shouldn’t take away from the fact that it’s a breakthrough for schizophrenia research considering that scientists have isolated a more specific target for dopamine regulation.

1 Like