Neurotransmitters and your meds

I found this graphic to describe the central nervous system neurotransmitters in hopes of understanding why this pdocs prescribe what they do

for example, in the hospital, they force haldol on you, which if memory serves me correctly changes / reduces the dopamine , but what I don’t understand is, if we’re paranoid, where’s the glutamate come in. I heard several of us say we start off paranoid first, meaning the glutamate is off first.

And, why can they not measure the dopamine or glutamate levels in your brain and medicate accordingly so we don’t feel sedated, like zombies, or have other side effects that we do not want. Seems like a guessing game, which isn’t acceptable to me. I want to know why did you give me that drug, measure the levels, don’t just inject me with ■■■■ and guess, and ask me “how are you rhtoughts today?” I think that is process is crap and ridiculous. No guessing with me, this is my body.

source is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NorepinephrineDopamineSerotonin.png

1 Like

Completely agree. I would love to see the answer to this.

1 Like

Really interesting. To be honest I have problems in each of those systems but I suppose paranoia to be the main thing. Never realised glutamate was involved.

Come on big pharma - there is more to it than just dopamine.

Short of dissecting your brain, there’s no easy way to determine your neurotransmitter levels. Even then, it’s not only about the levels but the receptors too. The levels can be normal but receptors be too many/few in number and things get off.

From what I read, the pic you posted is WAY to simple. There’s a LOT more going on involving neurotransmitters than that picture says.

My Pdoc says all he can do is experiment by seeing how certain meds work on me in particular and adjust to reach the desired outcome. That’s a strong reason why I opted out of medication. So it’s all best guess.

On a brighter note, look up the ‘Human Connectome Project’ they are mapping the individual connections in the human brain. This work should dramatically help ALL major mental illnesses when it’s done. The only problem is there are more connections in our brain than there are stars in our galaxy.

1 Like

I had an acetycholine antibody test to measure to see if I had antibodies against the acetycholine receptors.

I agree it’s a simple diagram, but it’s acurate and a start to initiate the discussion.
for example, myasthesia gravis is a disease where your autoimmune system attacks acetycholine receptors and your muscles become weak (droopy eye), acetycholine is also in your brain. there is a test for acetycholine antibodies.

You just gave me a qlue. Thank you so much…
Recently i been supplementing myself with alpha gpc and i notice the drooping eye is kind of improved. Maybe i should give that test. Or maybe i am low in acetycholine.

yes, I had someone else tell me that, acetycholine is used by both the muscles and the brain