Negative symptoms

All i know from ur replies to me everytime u have is u are a self rightous and go around lecturing people. I get myself off my ass and do extraordinarily difficult things against my lack of motivation. Like roof a house, build porches, put up walls. I work to improve my live all the time. I think of ways i can try to do that probably 20% of my day. I have over a year of notes on everything i do everyday and i everything i have tried to improve things so that i can add to it and learn from it to make things better. The FACT is i am not what i was 3 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago. We are not all the same. Some of us may have worse and more progressive symptoms than others. Stop being so judgy.

2 Likes

Itā€™s called self-confidence. Try it sometime.

Thatā€™s not self confidence and if it was, i donā€™t want it.

this is kinda the point I was going to make in your. ā€œit only get worseā€ comment. It isnt true for everyone. I know from experience its not true for everyone. I have improved significantly.

I was only speaking for myself as that is all i can doā€¦i donā€™t like going around prefacing everything with ā€œfor meā€ or ā€œin my caseā€ as i believe it should be obvious that we can all only speak for ourselves.

How long it takes to you to feeling better?

I suffered from anhedonia for very, very long time. I donā€™t know how long.

But now you are better right? Also i cant hear music i hope i can in the future

1 Like

Yes, I get enjoyment out things, so yes it has improved.

1 Like

No, meds like anti-psychotics are designed to help treat negative symptoms. Read the info. sheet that comes with your meds.

@Winston You too. Do it. Youā€™ll learn what the meds are designed to do.

Typical antipsychotics apparently have zero effect on improving negative symptoms. Some Atypicals may have a positive impact. It may depend on your own personal variety of schizophrenia, though. Some appear to still amplify some of the ā€œnegative symptomsā€ IMO. I put negative symptoms in quotes, because if the symptoms are med related and not sz related, technically they may not be considered negative symptoms.

In some cases meds can give the appearance of amplifying some ā€œnegative symptomsā€. Iā€™ll give you a couple examples of this from my own experience.

Invega just killed me in the motivation department. It made me lazy and fat and I didnā€™t feel like doing anything. I was like a zombie much of the time I was on this medication.

While on heavy doses of both Aripiprazole and Invega in particular, my enjoyment of things was severely cut down. After efforts to reduce medication some of my anhedonia appears to have been alleviated.

My strides in these areas may not have all been med related but I credit at least some of it to being on low doses.

I think itā€™s true that if your mind is racing in psychosis, yes, antipsychotics can clear the mind and increase things like concentration and memory, but if you are on too heavy doses they can have the opposite effect. Dopamine levels in particular , are directly related to the ability to concentrate, so all this makes sense if you think about it. Itā€™s also worthy of note that pleasure is related to dopamine.

Of course heavy and light doses are all relevant. Some people need more and some need less to maintain the right balance. We are all different.

I am a big advocate for being on the minimum dose required to control symptoms. What this is for an individual, is not something that can be determined here. Not only can they amplify ā€œnegative symptomsā€, IMO, but being on the minimum dose required to control symptoms may reduce the risk of other potential side effects as well.

As always, I want to say that if anyone wants to try reducing medications, please discuss it with your doctor. They generally know more than you or I in this field.

I am not a doctor and this is all my personal opinion based on my own experiences.

ā€œHaloperidol is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorders). This medicine helps you to think more clearly, feel less nervous, and take part in everyday life. It can also help prevent suicide in people who are likely to harm themselves. It also reduces aggression and the desire to hurt others. It can decrease negative thoughts and hallucinations.Haloperidol can also be used to treat uncontrolled movements and outbursts of words/sounds related to Touretteā€™s syndrome. Haloperidol is also used for severe behavior problems in hyperactive children when other treatments or medications have not worked.Haloperidol is a psychiatric medication (antipsychotic-type) that works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain (neurotransmitters).ā€

Thatā€™s just one example. Iā€™m getting a little annoyed that some people donā€™t read the information sheets that come with the meds. Yes, it varies from person to person how the meds affect a given patient, but the meds are designed to treat positive and negative symptoms.

I already said this in my post.

Iā€™m getting a little annoyed that you didnā€™t read mine.

I can show you article after article that claim that either 1st gen have little to no positive impact on negatives, or all antipsychotics have little to no positive impact on negatives. My personal thoughts are that the atypical partial dopamine agonists can through the method of partial receptor activation. Generally though, most antipsychotics have no impact on negativesā€¦ Articles to follow.

As I said, however this was my opinion based on experience. I am not a doctor

My cognitive and negative symptoms have pretty much been the same for over thirty years, I have just gotten much better at coping with them. It would be lovely to not be tired 24/7.

I find this highly amusing. Did you read your med info sheets in the mirror? Because youā€™ve got it backwards.

Antipsychotics and Amotivation | Neuropsychopharmacology.

" Anhedonia might be induced by dopamine D2 receptor blocking-agents such as antipsychotics (Gold et al. 2018), and, in turn, attenuated by activating do- pamine D2/D3 receptors and/or by increasing dopa- mine sensitivity in the reward pathways (Gold et al."
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.psychiatria-danubina.com/UserDocsImages/pdf/dnb_vol31_noSuppl%202/dnb_vol31_noSuppl%202_143.pdf

i could go on and on, but I dont feel like searching for more.

Read the info. sheet that comes with your meds. The ā€œUSESā€ part.

ā€œHaloperidol is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorders). This medicine helps you to think more clearly, feel less nervous, and take part in everyday life."

These AP meds are designed to treat negative and positive symptoms. Just because they might not work for you ā€¦ does not mean they donā€™t work for other patients. The APs I take daily help me focus/concentrate, help me feel better, and gives me daily energy.

Iā€™ll keep using the same example.

ā€œHaloperidol is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorders). This medicine helps you to think more clearly, feel less nervous, and take part in everyday life."

This clearly states Typical and Atypical APs treat negative symptoms (such as difficulty concentrating, avolition/motivation, energy).

As I already said, I included in my post that they can help to clear your mind.

You must be kidding? Haloperidol helps with motivation and energy?

i am glad that they work for you though

Yeah, in ā€œnormal individualsā€. What about Schizophrenics? Thanks for proving the fact that APs treat positive and negative symptoms (symptoms of Schizophrenia).