My cat is dying

She’s technically my sister’s cat. When we were 6 we got two cats, mine Bubby, hers Sweetie. But like all of her pets she doesn’t take care of them and I become their dad (not an issue with me though).

Sweetie is appropriately named. I’ve never met such a kind and innocent animal. Makes me angry when people say cats are mean. I feel like those people need to meet my cat. She never bites, scratches (if she does it’s an accident because she can’t control her claws), never gets angry. She panics and gets scared, and I’m the only person she really trusts. She always purrs and runs up to me and cuddles with me during the night and sleeps with me when I’m having hallucinations (she’s the best cure for me. Never had an animal heal my schizo like she does). She’s full of love, and you can’t hate her. Not even my dad, who often kicks Bubby.

She’s been deteriorating for a while now. I’ve known it for a while, but my mom loves her aswell and didn’t start accepting her health until a year ago. I don’t have a problem with death, but seeing as I’ve never experianced a pet dying, I think this will be bad for me.
I’ve accepted her fate for three years now, and I think about it often so I don’t avoid the topic. We got her checked out a few times. Her heart is failing, her lungs are filled with fluid (she can’t breathe well, always hacking and sneezing), stomach is messed up beyond repair (throws up multiple times a day), and she has a liver problem. She also has cat dementia.

I can’t tell you how it breaks my heart to hear her crying every hour, looking for us because she doesn’t know where we are, or not being able to cope with me gone. We didn’t think she was going to make it through the move, but she’s still here.

I’ve offered taking her to the vet to put her down, I have a plan. I will give her cheese sticks because she loves them so much. My mom says she’s waiting for a sign.

I will post a picture of sweetie on here sometime

I’m sorry…losing a beloved pet is very painful…I lost one of my rats this year and will probably be losing my dog of 11 years soon as well like your cat she has been declining. The other day she fell over and peed and then couldn’t stand up to get out of the pee until we helped her. We’re trying to make what is likely our last Christmas with her special. I’m glad that your cat had you to love her and look after her.

1 Like

Losing a pet is always hard. And losing a pet who is therapeutic is even harder. I lost my dog Lou about 3 years ago and it was very hard on me. He was always there for me when I needed him he’d always sleep outside my door and I always felt safe with him there. When I was scared I could always hold onto him and he was just this island of calm for me. When I lost him I was lost. I had to find entirely new ways to adapt. It felt so empty without him. But time does heal the wounds somewhat. Just try to keep in mind the good memories you had with them and it will help you through the tough times. And idk if you believe in spirits but I believe my dog is still watching over me, I believe he’s still with me. I think most animals do with the people in their lives. I hope you can find peace. And I hope sweetie passes peacefully. If you need to talk I’m here for you.

1 Like

It’s really sad to lose a pet…I am very sorry.

2 Likes

Thanks, that means a lot to me. Death is weird for me, because even when family dies, I don’t get sad. I get sad that my mom is sad, but I’m not sad. I will fake it sometimes. Even my aunt, who I really liked, had brain cancer and died of bone cancer a few days ago. I didn’t shed a tear.

When I think about my cat dying, I get teary eyed but I’m not sad. Nothing lasts forever. But my issue will be hallucinating her because I always hallucinate about her. I am going to miss her though.

1 Like

that sucks, there are times when things happen. were not sure why. it happens to everybody though, i was never really a commited pet owner, but now i do love animals more than ever. i prolly cant understand what your going through, but i can only imagine that its a part it. they do LIVE regardless…

1 Like

That’s true. I’m very passionate about animals, and I want the best for my pets. They’re my children, or something more. It’s hard because… I’ve never bonded with an animal like her. She has anxiety like me, and shows me unrelenting love. No matter if she annoys me, she still makes sure that I know she loves me. It’s hard

1 Like

Here is a picture of her :smiley: IMG_7033

2 Likes

These are old pictures, from when I was 13 or less. She looks healthier in here

2 Likes

my cat died shortly after i developed sz (that was two years ago), they had her put down because she was foaming at the mouth and may have had a brain tumor. i wasn’t completely as sad as i ought to have been because i didn’t really have a special relationship with her, i was also preoccupied dealing with sz at the time im sorry to say. if our current cats passed away i know i would cry my eyes out, i love them so much.

1 Like

Took this a few moments ago

3 Likes

2 Likes

In my experience animals are pretty cool with dying, moreso than human beings. But if I can offer advice, I’d suggest you are there with your cat, with her in your arms, when ‘the injection’ comes. It’s not easy to do that for some people, but I think it’s important.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry your cat is dying. It must be very hard. My cat is going to turn fifteen next month. I’m not looking forward to his demise.

1 Like

Your cat is beautiful. Cats love sleeping in the sun. :sunny: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Oh yes. I’d never want to be anywhere else. I have a plan. I’m going to give her some cheese sticks because they’re her favorite

1 Like

Wow, that is very good for a cat! 12 years is their average death, that’s amazing! Your cat must be showered in love haha. If you ever need support when that time comes you can talk with me

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.