Mutism and sz?

I wonder how many have struggled with mutism in their life. I’ve struggled a lot with it over my 46 years. Very often I can’t even speak at all or it comes out very odd, not even me. I still isolate a lot too. The mutism is at least as dibilitating as the delusions or voices are. Is this a negative symptom that doesn’t get talked about much?

I get that at my courses that I’m currently attending. I would say it’s upsetting and frustrating. It has a negative symptoms name too.

1 Like

I hate it when I have nothing to say. Conversations either go ok or I end up just not talking much. I dont start conversations much either. I feel like there is not much to say.

2 Likes

Alogia 15151551

3 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot they call it algogia in sz. But, I think mutism is still appropriate to discuss.

2 Likes

I think mutism is more anxiety related than alogia but it could vary I guess

3 Likes

On my course I find it upsetting when I have something in my mind I want to say but I just can’t say it or it comes across differently to how I expected lol. What distinguishes mutism from alogia. Is it with one u just happen to have sz

1 Like

I think there is selective mutism and mutism though isnt there. I think there is a big difference.

1 Like

I think so. They just call it alogia in sz.

1 Like

I think apathy and avolition along with confusion and paranoia and depression too play a big role in mutism/algoia. What is it? Like, a combination of the will to talk or the inability to talk?

It might be different for different people, but with me it is both, I normally think about my problems a lot and sometimes I feel like I should not say things that are completely normal. It is really frustrating.

1 Like

https://sci-hub.tw/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2015.06.010

Long-term non-catatonic mutism in schizophrenia: cultural influences

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17542863.2016.1246582?tokenDomain=eprints&tokenAccess=HUvR56nrWEx2Va64qvVv&forwardService=showFullText&doi=10.1080%2F17542863.2016.1246582&doi=10.1080%2F17542863.2016.1246582&journalCode=rccm20

1 Like

Yeah problems are hard to discuss and having sz is a major problem in itself.

1 Like

I think I had selective mutism before sz but for me sza seems to exacerbate it basically

1 Like

I go mute sometimes its difficult to cope with at times especially when I’m working. But with enough hand gestures and writing I make it by!

I also have an alter who’s completely mute they deal with it better than me I think.

It’s called alogia. I don’t have that. If anything, at times, I can talk too much. But, not lately.

1 Like

I used to have alogia but it wasn’t because I couldn’t speak it’s because I was paranoid and I thought everything was recorded. I didn’t even talk in my own home to my family. I was a mute.

Finally I learned how to talk without really saying anything important. Then I gradually got over it. I still think I am monitored but after so many years of it it just doesn’t bother me anymore.

i havethat negative symptom too…its an ass

To people im close to i tend to prattle on but thats not many but with people i dont know well i say very little. Ive got “hi how are you…Thats good/that sucks” and “cool” mastered but struggle with much more than that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.