Schizophrenia.com

Music therapy benefits confirmed

Using a formula and a survey sample, neuroscientists may have discovered the happiest, most rousing song ever written.
Here are a few hints: It’s from the 1970s, and
the band is British. You might remember it from the cinematic peak of the 2004 cult comedy, ‘Shaun of the Dead.’

Yup, the most feel-good song of all time is Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now,” a exuberant 1979 tune. Though the song was a British
chart-topper, it only reached No. 86 in the United States.

Frequently covered on TV singing competitions, the hit contains all the components of a bona fide feel-good song: a major key, happy lyrics, and a very fast tempo of 155 beats per minute, which is significantly faster than the average pop song.

These three elements were determined byDr. Jacob Jolij, assistant professor of cognitive neuroscience at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands, who began his research by examining a survey that asked 2,000 British adults what their favorite uplifting song was.

“A feel-good song is very personal. Music is intimately linked with memory and emotion,” Dr. Jolij told the Daily Mail. “However, there are some key criteria for composers to consider when creating feel good songs.”

Using the variables L for positive lyrics, BPM for beats per minute, and K for a musical key that features heavy major thirds, Jolij
created an equation to measure each of the 126 songs from the survey results.

While “Don’t Stop Me Now” came out on the very top, the nine runner-ups are also mostly oldies. Here’s the list from the study:

1. “Don’t Stop Me Now,” by Queen (1979)

2. “Dancing Queen,” by Abba (1976)

3. “Good Vibrations,” by The Beach Boys (1966)

4. “Uptown Girl,” by Billy Joel (1983)

5. “Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor (1982)

6. “I’m a Believer”, by The Monkeys (1966)

7. “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun,” by Cyndi Lauper (1983)

8. “Livin’ on a Prayer,” by Bon Jovi (1986)

9. “I Will Survive,” by Gloria Gaynor

10. “Walking on Sunshine,” by Katrina & The Waves (1983)

8 Likes

Girls just wanna have fun helps me when I’m in dark places. It was written for me.

1 Like

For me it was Gloria’s ‘I will survive’

Now I’m mostly listening to Joy Division (She lost control atm) can’t help myself :girl: :gun:

“Eye of the Tiger,” is also good

1 Like

Do you like Joy Division @turningthepage?
They are soooo depressive.

Never heard them I’ll check them out. Don’t have any of them on my ipod

1 Like

You must heard for ‘Love will tear us apart’

1 Like

Don’t Stop Me Now has always been my favorite song for getting energized.

I’m sorry that you are feeling blue, but when you are feeling down, we can still dance to the radio. I hope your day picks up soon for you.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: thanks!
You like them too?

Ian Curtis, he had that big ‘love me’ eyes, like he was calling for salvation. So sad that no one could do that for him.

1 Like

My pleasure Sara.

I know what you mean, as the saying goes, “the eyes are windows to the soul”. I don’t know if you have seen the movie before, but I found “Control - the Ian Curtis Story” for you: movie link

Have a nice night.

“The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” - Marcel Proust

1 Like

Marcel Proust?

Now you got me very curious.

Ok Yo Yo’s ,

Don’t Go Too Carayzee ------------------------> http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ <-------------------

and ALSO ,

You May Need A Mic … ,

You Don’t Have A Mic (???) ,

Well Use ANY Mic You May Have … ,

As In Webcam … ,

Audacity Is Free and Easy To Use … ,

Once You Get Tha Hang Of It You Will Be Numbah One On Tha BIllboards In No T(Y)me …

Peace Be Unto You .

Oh yes of course I’ve heard this. Just got home to listen to it. Good song.

1 Like

HaHa just seeing if you were paying attention! (>>>------------->)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-fk8Q-oRc

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.