Motivation problems, How do you handle it?

I tackle things with baby steps and small chunks. Otherwise I think everything is impossible

4 Likes

I get avolition and anhedonia. I used to get flat affect but that went away

1 Like

I don’t know what is meds or what is apathy/inertia :thinking:. My multiplying thoughts x my paranoia x crushing social anxiety makes outside tasks makes it very hard to out, and even indoors, the apathy/inertia makes it almost impossible to even haul my static bulk up to actually DO something. Like walking through cement. No bueno.

2 Likes

I think small chunks at a time is very good advice,

but it is easier said than done,

3 Likes

Good strategies. I will copy it.

1 Like

No. The article doesn’t really clarify any such difference. All it says about the matter is:

As far as I’m concerned, it is the severity of the condition (apathy or avolition) that determines whether a person will alter their behaviour to avoid adverse consequences.

-A.

1 Like

In high school I was a procrastinator. Most all of my assignments were done last minute. But over time with experience I slowly changed my ways. Now that I am older I like to get stuff over and done with so I can relax. Just knowing I have nothing left to do makes me feel better, more relaxed, and knowing that I feel motivates me to get stuff done when I need to.

1 Like

Differentiating Avolition

Other negative symptoms that may have similar characteristics but different root causes than avolition include:2

• Aboulia is the lack of will rather than motivation, a subtle difference but one which may be defined as a more severe form of apathy.

I’m not going to argue the fact any further. It’s clear that you are not going to accept it regardless of what facts are presented.

2 Likes

With reference to:
https://www.google.com/search?q=abulia+vs+apathy

At the top of the search results, we can read the following:

So you see it is not hard to find something to quote that agrees with your view or disagrees with the position held by others.

The last part of that quote, about abulia (etc.) being due to a dopaminergic dysfunction, is relevant. Apathy occurs frequently in dopamine dysregulation disorders, including schizophrenia, Parkinson’s disease, depression, and even attention deficit disorder. Regardless of what you choose to call it, it would seem that the roots have much in common.

-A.

1 Like

My motivation issues stem from (I think) anxiety and multiple thought paths. As soon as I think I need to do something, I’m flooded with ideas about why I shouldn’t do it, it’s going to require human contact, possible catastrophic outcomes, maybe I should wait, I’m waiting for the “right” time, and often I don’t end up doing anything, but sometimes I just bear down on my thoughts and begin, and once I’m locked in, it’s more “automatic”, and I can get it done. Mostly.

2 Likes

I give myself windows of opportunity. If I get a random urge to do something good for me its good.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.