Mom never takes me seriously anymore

SO, let’s keep this simple.
How do I get my mom to take me seriously? She usually disagrees about my beliefs, my hallucinations, my paranoid self, and doesn’t believe that I’m diagnosed with what I have. Any help? NOTE: She’s stubborn.

Has she ever seen you during a psychotic break? My dad never took my illness seriously, either, even though I was living with him during my second break. It’s hard. I think parents just don’t want to think of their kids having to deal with something so awful, so they deny it for as long as they can. It might just take a little time and exposure to your illness before she fully realizes the magnitude of it. Sorry, wish I had better advice. You can try talking to her about it, but I know how that can be, like talking to a brick wall.

3 Likes

Could it be that she is in denial, that she doesn’t want to believe you are ill? Maybe it would help to get one of your care team to talk to her. My parents were in denial at first, they just couldn’t bring themselves to accept my diagnosis until a psych nurse sat with them and explained how all my problems could be explained in terms of scz. They are very supportive these days, but it took time for them to understand. I gave them leaflets and websites to find out more info for themselves. I’m sorry to hear your mum isn’t taking your seriously, it must be hard not having her support.

2 Likes

I really do not understand her way of thinking and/or her thought process. I try to sit down and approach her thoughtfully. But, that never helps. She so stubborn and yeah. I do not have any way of describing her. Hell, I might as well throw myself into another episode just to have her believe me. Anything to make her believe me.

How old is she? Old people are often set in their beliefs. Plenty of older people on the forum here who are examples of that. I try not to listen to people who cannot be reasoned with, most of the time you are more open minded than them.

1 Like

she’s nearly 40.

1 Like

Wow, she must have had you pretty young then. You are late teens early twenties right? My mom is a doctor so she deals with people who are dying and have severe illnesses 7 days a week. It doesn’t come as a surprise to me that she doesn’t take me or my illness seriously. I’ve reached a point where I don’t even try anymore.

My mother convinced me in my teens i was possessed and being tortured by bad spirits she still believes that Im 33 now and am nit happy she added that to my delusions she also says im a prophetess and thats why i sear “visions” and they say im sick . I feel for you my family has been in denial about my illness for over a decade. Keep looking gor help and stay strong.

1 Like

My mom refused to believe anything was wrong with me right up until I actually started to get better. I think she was afraid of the idea of me having such a severe illness, so she lived in denial. Once she saw I could actually recover and live a semi-normal life, she was less afraid of my diagnosis, and started to accept it as a real thing. Now, when I struggle, she understands that I have a disease, and I’m not just whining or trying to get attention.

3 Likes

EXACTLY! for peat’s sake! haha

1 Like

The problem is that many people simply don’t want to see what is unpleasant for them.
They prefer to be deaf and blind.
It is most unfortunate phenomenon, its not just your mom but a lot of people unfortunately
@DatTallGuyCam

2 Likes

Seems like almost everyone’s mom is in some kind of denial. Sadly mine is too. She keeps saying the doctors misdiagnosed me that there is nothing seriously wrong. Also pissed me off the other day saying that if I had SZ I would be an aggressive, crazy blabbering person 24/7. Which is sooo not fkn true…So yeah. It sucks but at least my wife, dad, and stepdad accept it. My mom is the stubborn one.

2 Likes

Might it just be moms in general?

1 Like

My mum believes I have schizophrenia, but whenever I try to talk to her about delusions, she shuts me down right away. And if I talk to her about a hallucination she says I have to “stop imagining that.”

Imagining it would suggest I have some level of control over it.

I think it’s just hard for Mums because they don’t want anything to be wrong with their children and I also think Mums don’t so a lot of research on the subject. I know mine hasn’t.

4 Likes

nobody is well educated enough on the topic of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I know people have good and bad families, but if she has ever been a good mom to you, she’s probably terrified for you, can’t deal with it, and is in denial so as to not feel frightened. Sort of her mind protecting her from those feelings.

Not terribly helpful to you, but maybe if you are able to understand that it’s not you, it’s her inability to deal with your illness, it won’t be so irritating.

1 Like

Oh dude, that’s your mom, she has never and will never take you seriously.

Ever.

3 Likes

:joy_cat::joy_cat:

2 Likes

how do you know so much about his mom…?

My gal has a schizophrenic daughter. My gal is not totally uneducated, but she seems to have underestimated schizophrenia. For her further education, I like to tell her that the World Health Organization lists schizophrenia as more disabling than blindness.

1 Like