Mixed episodes...who has them and what happens?

I think im in the middle of a mixed episode. Im Sza and think i have bipolar. I feel awake yet tired. Happy yet sad. Im not sure if im just feeling off today or if this is something bigger.

1 Like

When i have mixed episodes its major agitation, aggression, too much energy but its all negative.

The last one i had lasted for 4 months.

Id go for 15km speed walks and it wouldnt put a dent in my energy level id just come back still angry and then id take 1 to 2mg of risperidone to try and tamp it down each day. The risperidone was like putting a lid on things and simmering instead of boiling

3 Likes

I’m a little irritable today. Tired but my mind is racing. Content but depressed at the same time. I’m not really ever energetic though.

1 Like

Miserable yet loaded with energy.

Lots of agitation, lots of talking, crying and laughing at the same time during the same conversation, aggression, and shopping a lot and spending large amounts of money on stuff my deluded self has told me I need.

Last one just ended after about a month and a couple weeks.

4 Likes

Can it happen for just a couple days? Does it have to last a long time?

2 Likes

I think my mixed episodes have most closely resembled @Schztuna’s. Especially the talking and shopping. So much money spent…

2 Likes

I tend to spend a lot of money too. I just feel like my mood is constantly swinging

1 Like

I also tend to spend money I do not have and get agitated on occasions. Recent diagnosis is schizoaffective bipolar type I have also been depressive type due to issues with depression. So confused on how my providers come up with diagnoses.

1 Like

Not sure to be honest, but I would imagine it could.

Do you see your pdoc regularly, @pasteyface? If so, defos try to let them know how you’re feeling. Hope you feel better soon :+1:.

1 Like

I think I talk to him this week. We talk once a month. I’ve just been noticing how much my mood swings from day to day. Could be BPD. I don’t think I’m bipolar cause it doesn’t last a week. It’s more like mood swings every hour

3 Likes

Do you have any other BPD traits?

If you have labile moods/rapidly changing moods, you could be in a mixed episode. But I’ll admit that my knowledge on Bipolar and mood stuff is not so great, since I’ve only just been diagnosed with it this year after unknowingly having it since probably high school :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

You could get mixed moods for any period of time but for it to be an episode i think it needs to be like 7 days.

2 Likes

Yeah it never lasts that long. My mood swings constantly all the time.

2 Likes

I have lots of the symptoms of BPD

2 Likes

I believe there are a few other members here who also have or have had a BPD diagnosis, so it is possible it could happen with SZA/SZ as well.

Maybe make a list of all the talking points you wanna go over with your doc? I dunno, just a suggestion, but I do that every so often and it does help keep me on track and get the most out of appointments.

2 Likes

Yeah. That’s a good idea. I always just tell the doctor I’m fine. I don’t ever think of my problems as something that can be solved. Just feel like it is what it is.

2 Likes

Maybe ask your pdoc about a mood stabilizer?

2 Likes

The last time I went to the hospital they put me on a mood stabilizer. I think that would help. Does anyone have any experience with them?

2 Likes

My doctor took me off of it though. I didn’t tell him about my mood swings yet

2 Likes

Usually what happens is I get extremely angry at everything including life and want to die and end up hurting myself. The mixed episodes are the scariest by far.

2 Likes