Master Gene Regulator Could be New Target for Schizophrenia Treatment

Researchers at MIT’s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory have identified a master genetic regulator that could account for faulty brain functions that contribute to schizophrenia.

The work, reported in the advance online publication of Nature Neuroscience, may one day lead to new strategies for treating schizophrenia and other diseases caused by malfunctioning synapses, the connections among neurons, said co-author Li-Huei Tsai, director of the Picower Institute and the Picower Professor of Neuroscience at MIT.

Genetic variations in the gene encoding a particular microRNA — miRNA-137 — have been linked with an increased risk for schizophrenia. While schizophrenia is tied to multiple genes, “a more complete picture of miRNAs may improve our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying schizophrenia,” Tsai says.

Read the full story here:

5 Likes

that is awesome!

1 Like

Good idea for a superhero.

The master gene regulator.

4 Likes

why not altering a dna…

When will this kind of treatment probably be out?
Is it at least a decade away or more??

All the near future antipsychotic oral or injection type is not going to make much difference from the medication we had now,they are beating around the bushes lol

1 Like

may be century…its may be drug company may halt in research cuz drug company has a grand investment …but why this companies coming out with effective med…

1 Like

Haha,hopefully your wrong,century is really a long wait :- (

Stem cell therapy is closer or this?or is it related?

1 Like

gtx i do hope the drug or therapy come as sooner as possible…we all deserve to live happily …so i can stop cursing my self…