Lowering the dose of my medicine soon, what to expect?

I will be going from 37.5MG of risperidal consta (risperidone) injection to 25MG of the same medicine. Given your experiences, what should I expect?

I’m sorry I don’t have experience with this particular medicine, but I just cut my Saphris dose in half. I can’t tell a difference at this point. I think my pdoc is going to put me on risperidone.

1 Like

It’s okay, thanks for your response. So far you feel the same?

Im on 25mg injection of risperidone.

I was on 3mg pills before, the main thing i noticed was i started pacing again. Also i started feeling like i was falling whenever i tried to sleep.

Thats about all, i get some voices sometimes but its not too bad.

2 Likes

Were you ever on a higher dose?

Yes, so far I feel the same. But Wednesday (yesterday) morning was my first morning without Saphris. I’m only on 10mg at night now. The nice thing is that I didn’t sleep all day, and when I did wake up, I actually felt awake! It was such a nice change. I just hope I don’t have any ill effects from the decreased dose. Before this, we had decreased me to 5mg in the mornings. In 2 weeks, we go to 5mg at night. Our hope is that it will decrease my TD symptoms if I go on another med. That new med, lumateperone, sounds really promising because it is supposed to have less extrapyramidal side effects and be a bit more like clozapine in that sense. So I’m hoping my pdoc will let me stay on 5mg/night of Saphris until the lumateperone has been around longer. She won’t prescribe it until it’s been out for at least 6 months.

1 Like

Everything will be good,you need to prepare for the withdrawal of lowering.Like maybe insomnia,anxiety etc

3 Likes

For me i dont feel any difference
I just need to put on medication

1 Like

Oh I see I see. So you seem to be better in a way?

Are you speaking from experience?

I Wouldn’t Know, All My Doctor Does is Up The Dose…,

Wait!, Wait!,

Lowering…,

Oh Sorry!.,

I’ll Leave… . … :pensive:

1 Like

Two years ago when I lowered my dose of aripiarzole from 5mg to 2.5 mg during the tapering process I did not notice much difference although there was slightly less if the zombie effect. It was only a few months after coming off completely that I truly felt a difference.

However, the change from 5 to 2. 5 did make a worthy difference

At higher doses, lowering to yet still high doses barely made any difference

1 Like

Yea.I have stopped ap for 5 times.I always got insomnia and get racing thoughts at night

1 Like

It should be same as lowering risperidone, it comes with a bit of anxiety and feeling lethargy, thats just the withdrawal which lasts four weeks tops. After that your cognition improves as does your mood

1 Like

Yes it does…I don’t wish to go through these again since I am stable.I will stop with doctor guidance

1 Like

I have experience with risperidone.
I had tardive dyskinesia from it.
Lower doses with pdoc’s approval

1 Like

I see. So you got off the meds completely?

Are you speaking from experience that after a month you improve?

yea I did in 2018,took a while to see improvements though but steadily they came yea

why are you going on a lower dose?

1 Like

Interesting! How’s your symptoms now? I am tired of the side effects