Lithium and other mood stabilizers

Hi! I was on Lithium for an awesome couple of months many years ago and I felt super until I developed the shakes and was thirsty all the time. Have any of you had a similar experience? I’m on an AD and AP now but I was just thinking if I felt awesome on a mood stabilizer before I think it may be worth trying something else. And if you don’t have much experience with MoodSyblzrs that’s okay I would still like your input. I see there was a thread on Lamictal but I didn’t want to hijack that conversation so I figured a new topic couldn’t hurt. Thanks!

The thing with Lithium (I’ve taken it for 3 years now) is that your blood levels have to be checked regularly. If you had the shakes, your Lithium level was probably a little high and that can easily be fixed by lowering your dose slightly. It happened to me and I was having some issues from it so I decreased from 1200mg a day to 900mg a day and I’ve been fine for 2 years since then.

As for being thirsty all the time, that’s something that OFTEN happens to people on Lithium and it usually goes away after a few months. The blood work you get done also checks your kidneys and if there were anything wrong with them your doctor would let you know.

As for other mood stabilizers all I really know is this: Tegretol (Carbamazapine) is best for people who have a lot of manic episodes and not as much depression, Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is best for people who have more depression and less mania, and Depakote (Valproic Acid) is best for people who rapid cycle (Multiple manic/depressive episodes per year).

But Lithium is still the best all around mood stabilizer there is and as long as you get your blood checked regularly (every 3 months here but in some countries they say every 6 months) you’ll be just fine.

Neurontin (Gabapentin) is also used now as a mood stabilizer but it isn’t as strong or reliable as the others.

3 Likes

Lithium messed up my thyroid levels and I had to be taken off of it, just on an AD and AP now, along with Klonopin.

I am on my favorite mood stabilizer (Anticonvulsant)
Depakote ER (Generic)
Depakote works great for my Rapid and Mixed Cycles!

I was on All of the major mood stabilizers including Lithium.
Lithium was the least effective mood stabilizer and Lamictal was too activating for me.

Tegretol was OK but it interferes with too many other meds.

Depakote is also excellent for Anxiety.
It keeps me Chilled Out :sunglasses:

3 Likes

i’m on lithium now, it works pretty good but i have the shakes which the doctor doesn’t know which meds cause it. i have to get my blood levels checked again soon.