Latuda in schizophrenia - Added benefit not proven

The drug lurasidone (trade name Latuda) has been available since November 2014 for the treatment of adults with schizophrenia. The German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) examined in a dossier assessment whether this new drug offers an added benefit over the appropriate comparator therapy.

According to the findings, an added benefit is not proven: It is uncertain both in the acute treatment and in the prevention of relapse whether the effect lurasidone has on the symptoms of schizophrenia is as good as that of the appropriate comparator therapies.

1 Like

Glad to hear some honest news outside of the military industrial pharmaceutical complex.

Its not all about efficacy , side effects profile is big as well. Clozaril would be great only for the side effects.

This is true - but the side effect profile of a pretty high akathisia rate and anxiety - does not make it ideal for me or many others who suffer with anxiety and panic disorder

I think its a meter of trade offs. Me for example I am on a med that has medium efficacy and the reason is that I can tolerate it at a therapeutic dose. Risperidone a med with better efficacy caused me severe depression once I increased my dose. Zypreza , probably the best med I have ever taken in terms of effectiveness , caused massive weight gain. In terms of side effects , such as anxiety , I had the absolute worst anxiety on abilify , at a relatively low dose , it was painful , yet some people tolerate it quite well

This is so true, and I surely realize this