Just Diagnosed Today

Hi,

I was just diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia today. My psychiatrist told me several months ago that she was leaning towards the diagnosis. I was absolutely stunned. I told her that it couldn’t be true because I don’t see things, hear things (very much), and I’m not violent. I was so angry, I thought about not going back, but I did.

After calming down and talking to the doctor for several more visits, I can see now that the diagnosis is most likely an accurate one. And I learned that all of my preconceived notions of what the disorder was, were not true.

I have recognized that many of my thoughts and behaviors are based upon paranoia. I never saw that before. I have had this paranoia for years; my anxiety is through the roof. I don’t see things, but every once in a while I will hear a voice calling my name. It’s strange, but it does happen. I don’t think she made the diagnosis based upon this, but specifically the paranoia and the way I have isolated myself.

She has put me on several medications. Cymbalta, Trazadone (for insomnia), Wellbutrin, and Risperidone. I know next to nothing about these medications, but the doctor said she is ramping me up very slowly on very low doses.

When I told my family today, they looked a little shocked. My biggest fear is that they will think I am somehow dangerous. I have never hurt a fly, but I keep worrying about the stigma of the disorder; can’t get it out of my head. How do I tell the few friends I have left? My brother? Will these people still want me in their lives? I’m probably just overthinking things.

Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope to meet you all.

AnxietyOrange

2 Likes

@AnxietyOrange it has been a hard day for you…at least you are on correct medication you have my best wishes in hoping for a better future as regards your illness

All the best kate xxx

2 Likes

One of us! One of us!

6 Likes

I made the previous comment with only reading the subject heading. On a more serious note, my family was aware that I was regularly getting baker acted before my diagnosis. So I never had a “coming out” moment like you did. I don’t know your family and how they’ll react. In my experience, it’s more common for people to down play your problems rather than exaggerate them. Although I have experienced both from people. Over all, you’ll be fine. Good luck with the meds, they don’t always help everyone.

2 Likes

It probably will be very hard accepting your illness for a while. Please know it gets easier. Are you planning on getting on disability? How many hospital stays have you had since before being diagnosed? I only ask this because having hospital stays helps you get disability.

3 Likes

I have never actually been hospitalized for any type of mental condition. My doctor said that she believes I have been misdiagnosed for many years with Social Anxiety Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. She told me that what I am dealing with is much more serious than those diagnosis’.

I am currently on disability, as I have had trouble doing very basic tasks, like going to store or any type of basic social interaction. I sold my startup business several years ago because I just couldn’t stand the sitting in meetings with the investors.

I have a feeling that I am much older than most of the people here and that my diagnosis has taken a lot longer.

Thanks for the reply.

3 Likes

I , for one am 53…there are some other older people on here too. Please feel welcome. I am sorry you lost your business. I lost a career in architecture so I feel for you that way. good luck.

2 Likes

Funny you mentioned downplaying the disorder. While my family was in shock, they did exactly that; down played it. Maybe they are right and I am seeing too much into it. I guess everyone is different.

I’m 43. If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take before you had a diagnosis?

1 Like

Unless you’re looking for support from the person, it’s actually preferable for them to down play it in my opinion. :confused:

1 Like

I was prodromal for about 3 years before I was diagnosed. My paranoia and delusions didn’t become full blown until I was 35. I lost my thirties to schizophrenia and all the years after that. I didn’t accept my illness for the first year which kept me in hospitals since I was off my meds. I am a firm believer in staying on your meds.

3 Likes

I guess it’s hard to compare disorders or symptoms with others; and probably not helpful. For some reason, that’s my first inclination.

Jukebox, it was a pleasure to meet you. I’m sure we will speak more later. I’m off to an early bed, as I am mentally wiped out. I’m glad I found this place.

Talk to you soon and thanks for the advice!

3 Likes

@AnxietyOrange you’re welcome friend.

Welcome.
Waves her arms in hello

1 Like

i’m 41,
diagnosed age 17 / 18

was a sudden diagnosis because i’d been hearing voices for hours most days, for over six months and very paranoid

welcome Orange. It is really amazing what you can get to with a lot of acceptance. took me forever to get that

2 Likes

hi
take care :alien:

Hi how are you doing?

Hi, @AnxietyOrange. I am 48 and have been (clearly in my mind) suffering hallucinations and delusions, anxiety and paranoia for over 30 years. I was able to be isolated and kept much of my experiences secret. When I did ask for help as a teenager and told my mom about the demons tormenting me, she simply didn’t know what to do. Long story short, I was just diagnosed correctly almost four months ago. I’ve only told a few people. Secrets are my thing. I admire you for telling your family right away! There’s nothing to be ashamed of and you’re getting the help you need, so those who really know you and care I hope will be totally supportive. I wish you nothing but the best!

2 Likes

I’ve read research suggesting that you should follow the examples of LGBT individuals.

I came out to my family later, my friends could tell I was psychotic. My parents and sister were well aware that I was psychotic. I didn’t take the psychosis not otherwise specific diagnosis at all, and then the scz diagnosis put me in catch 22 denial. I came around once the meds really worked. I was so skeptical of the whole thing, my world seemed so real. Then the Geodon kicked in and I had a peaceful mental…breakdown? I was sane and I kept saying “it was all in my head” and cried a lot.

The good news is that you sound coherent and pretty well. I mean, seriously, you sound quite sane.

Google scholar search “Patrick Corrigan” and “coming out” and the article might be available in pdf on google scholar. I have access to databases because I am a researcher (and yes I am also chronic paranoid schizophrenic). He’s also written 14 books. I haven’t read the books but I have read a lot of his scholarly journal publications.

I’m researching a stigma intervention. I’m pretty obsessed with the stuff. It’s like I sort of call out everyone for stigmatizing us with empirical science. Hahahaha

1 Like

Of all the people I’ve told about my sz, I’ve only had one friend that stopped talking to me. And even then I think it was more because he was around and trying to deal with me during a really psychotic period and just “saw too much,” as it were.

It’s hard to come to terms with, and even still I have times where I’m sure they all must be wrong or something. I don’t know. Having this forum, and others where mental illness isn’t stigmatized as much, has really helped me cope. Good luck.

1 Like