JK Rowling’s latest book is about a murderous cis man who dresses as a woman

It’s just sad because Harry Potter seems to have set the foundation for so many people’s view of the world, and I’ve read that the series has helped a lot of people who are trans come to terms with themselves and their experiences because, as far as I know without having read all the books, the main storyline underlining everything else is about how we shouldn’t blindly discriminate nor should we let our pasts define us. I was expecting more of Rowling, I guess.

2 Likes

I mean I read mostly R.A. Salvatore when I was young but it didn’t set any foundation for my life. They’re just make believe stories, they aren’t meant to be philosophies on life. That would be like me saying Dumbo made me who I am today, because I watched that VHS tape like 50 times when I was a kid.

Pink elephants are scary as heck at that age, BTW.

1 Like

I don’t think any work of fiction has had that great an impact on my life either. That’s just an observation I’ve made from reading other people’s takes on this matter.

1 Like

I remember R.A. Salvatore
Drizzt Do’Urden and the gang.

You guys haven’t heard then. It wasn’t jk Rowling who wrote the hp books. It was the lovely unproblematic Hagrid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I wasn’t trying to target you or anything, my bad. I’ve seen the first Harry Potter movie and thought the message was good, but I have a problem reading or watching stuff if I know the source is rotten. The only exception is the reboot of Roseanne… but I’m perfectly willing to keep watching it now that it’s “The Conners.” It’s actually my favorite non animated show, and I wish Roseanne had kept her thoughts to herself so she could have stayed on. However it is neat to see the show giving more of its spotlight to John Goodman and also Sarah Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf. I highly recommend it.

@Bowens Yeah I really loved those books, and you get to meet Drizzt in the classic computer games Baldur’s Gate and the sequel, Baldur’s Gate 2, which is my favorite game of all time. Made by Bioware before EA gobbled them up.

2 Likes

You’re good! I just felt my position needed more of an explanation, haha. I really feel for the people who grew up loving Harry Potter. :frowning:
Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll have to check that out since COVID-19 has left me so wanting for fresh media to consume.

1 Like

I don’t want to take the thread off topic, but yeah. I played both Baldur’s Gates along with a host of other related AD&D games too along with reading the books. They had a re-release of Baldur’s Gate on steam a few years back and I bought that again and played it again for awhile. Ok. I better shut up…I’m way off topic.

1 Like

I used to love that game!

2 Likes

The kind of nasty crap directed at trans men and women .

One of the authors

That John Hopkins employs him is a major black mark against it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.