JK Rowling’s latest book is about a murderous cis man who dresses as a woman

This book sounds horrifying…

1 Like

JL Rowling is an awful TERF. I used to really like her. Now she’s just disappointing and disgusting.

4 Likes

What is a TERF???

It stands for trans-exclusionary radical feminist. Basically it means someone who hates trans people, specifically trans women.

Ah, thanks. Never heard of that.

Reactionary would fit better than radical.

3 Likes

Just terrible. :-1:

I used to have one of the Harry Potter books.

Thankfully I bought it used, so I don’t think Rowling saw a penny of it.

1 Like

I think there’s some nuance to her views but discussing it would seem beyond the policy here.

4 Likes

I don’t care about her views. I just like her books.

I do care about her views. Had I known about her views, I would not have purchased the Harry Potter books, regardless of how good they are. My collection of Harry Potter books might just end up in the recycle bin.

2 Likes

A less critical view.

1 Like

I’ve only read up to the third Harry Potter book. I was wanting to read the remaining books of the series but JKR has totally tainted my perception of her works with her horrible opinions.

I don’t know if even ‘death of the author’ can save the Harry Potter series for me.

I still love Harry Potter. It was a beautiful story. There were unsavory elements, and it was written by someone who has said unsavory things, but if you start throwing out books because they were written by bigots, you’ll lose most classic literature.

1 Like

Very good point. Might be worth it to try reading HP again, if I can access the books without giving JKR more money lol.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about any of her views and I haven’t read any of her books but I don’t think she is apt to going broke anytime soon.

1 Like

This all confuses me, as all this stuff seems so complicated.

I just try and do the best I can not to add to the hate and be accepting of other people.

If others could just try and do the same, then I think things would get a bit better, but that’s just idealistic.

My experience of life so far has taught me to keep other people at an arms length.

This author is no exception, and rightly so if this seems to be causing a reaction

1 Like

Libraries always have like 5 copies of each.

1 Like

Oh but be warned, book 4 has a villain who is a “very masculine woman” who is now widely thought to be the first instance of her expressing her views on trans women as predators.

1 Like

Lol what identities can a villain in a work of fiction safely have if the author is not to be accused of being bigoted? Time to make some lists of approved storylines!

3 Likes