JK Rowling’s latest book is about a murderous cis man who dresses as a woman

@rogueone,

I think you should unsuspend StarCrazy. She was simply reiterating/ telling us what Rowling’s views were.

3 Likes

There needs to be safe places for trans women. Male toilets put such people at risk of physical or verbal abuse. On the other hand, due to past experiences some natural born women are wary of those who are transitioning using women’s toilets. How to protect the former ,while allaying the fear of the latter?

Same could also apply re safety to transmen.

1 Like

It wasn’t cool and there’s some history there. Lets leave it at that. This has been brought up in the media before and hiding behind terms like sex based rights doesn’t make it anymore pleasant. We are a welcoming community for everyone and we aren’t all defined by our color, sex, hair style or anything else. We are just people who do our own things and deserve the same respect.

Gay people had similar issues in the past. We should allow such representation on our website? We are in 2020 people. Please remember we are all different. It’s about respect.

1 Like

Okay I give up, this woman is freaking terrible. I’m not ever bothering with any Harry Potter movies or books.

She’s a known TERF btw.

2 Likes

Can I have a year for liking the second post?

1 Like

Trans people hate labels…so why is Rowling being labeled a TERF?

More ‘Cancel Culture’ if you ask me.

Perhaps Rowling really IS being an asshat on this issue, but we still need to discuss it without fear of repercussions.

2 Likes

I’m just saying that it’s a difficult issue. In no way do I,or have I ever, supported abuse against people who are trans . There’s genuine fears that need to be allayed vs those who would vehemently reject trans people irrespective of whether they had fully transitioned or not.

2 Likes

We also have an obligation where people who are different can speak out without fear or repercussions. Hate speech isn’t in that milieu. Sex doesn’t define us as human beings. Indeed if you do some sociology you see how fluid it is.

Your support for said punter isn’t appreciated and if you can’t see the hate there then your kidding yourself. It’s not cool.

She applies the label to herself willingly. This is from another article:

"Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling published a nearly 4,000-word blog post Wednesday, further reaffirming her controversial stance on the transgender community, which critics have called transphobic.

In a tweet sharing the blog post, Rowling simply wrote “TERF wars.” TERF stands for trans-exclusionary radical feminist, a term which critics have called the author.**

She thinks being trans is a mental illness. She’s proud of that stance, and she’s entitled to have that stance, but she doesn’t seem to have any problems with labels.

1 Like

Okay. Now we’re getting some solid information.

So critics have called her a TERF which is why she used the term in her Tweet?

I believe in Trans rights as well as free speech.

I’m a guy and honestly I wouldn’t care if a trans man were using the mens bathroom its not really a big deal

1 Like

This has been all over the media before @anon39054230. You still should know better matey. We don’t defend racists here. We don’t defend anti gay people here…same for trans. I think you can learn some things from this debate…Gender does not define you as a human being. We are all different which hanging around here should teach you.

2 Likes

Sorry @rogueone,

This whole story is new to me. I’ve been purposely shutting down TV…Radio and most Social Media because of my affliction. I have a tendency to personalize information and to read double/ triple meanings into news articles.

I had no idea this Rowling story was a ‘thing’ in the Media.

1 Like

Hey mate appreciate you for saying that. It’s a big story but understand why you missed it.

Still. We look after everyone here even if that isn’t our cup of tea so to speak. Nothing wrong with that difference but it makes our community great.

Will take it as a misunderstanding which it is. No stress. My apologies for being a bit confrontational. Much peace.

3 Likes

Lol someone called her Voldemort

I’m glad I missed this discussion. Looks like a giant headache of a thread to me.

It should be Voldemorticia. :grin:

4 Likes

I was never a fan of Rowling.

Compared to Lord of the Rings, her Potter movies look like High School productions.

But I still believe in freedom of speech. In this case it seems to be revealing her own ignorance.