Inflammation in Individuals with Schizophrenia - Implications for Neurocognition and Daily Function

6 Likes

I don’t know about anybody else, but I have arthritis (rheumatoid?) same as my my grandmother, (mother, and other grandmother too), in my hands and feet.
It hurts.
very much.
Almost as limiting as Sz in doing daily things.

Funny thing is, this pain dominates control of my life first, and the Sz takes a back seat, but,
if I can stop making the pain first-it won’t just go away, but I can stop making it first,
then my Sz gets worse.

I suspect I might have inflammation. Thanks for sharing this.

Good to have a target, inflammation. Lots of potential for treatment. Lots of currently available antiinflamatories for that matter.

I too have often thought that inflammation plays a part in my symptoms…

One of the last times I was committed, the doctor told me he suspected I had a UTI, and that UTI’s could often worsen psychosis. Apparently he saw it a lot in elderly patients especially.
Not that I’m elderly by any means, but still.

1 Like

I was getting brain inflammation from eating dairy and wheat. After switching to gluten-free bread and coconut milk, my brain feels markedly less inflamed. Also, I’m getting fewer intrusive thoughts.

1 Like

Thank you for posting @firemonkey

I have a lot inflammation. I have arthritis, several types, and they all cause my blood sedimentation rate to be high. I have a lot of blood work done to check my inflammation and white blood cell levels constantly.

My white blood cell rate is elevated all the time- a nurse told me One of my medications probably causes the wbc level to rise.

It wasn’t long ago that they found that depression and inflammation were linked, I am not surprised at this new information.

This is why there are some articles that say minocycline(sp??) can help with schizophrenia. It is thought to help reduce inflammation in the brain.

I wonder what the connection would be with inflammation and bipolar with psychotic symptoms

Lack of sleep causes big flare ups for me. I also have some osteoarthritis.

I cut back on lactose, sugar and gluten which helps a lot.

Good quality turmeric, MSM, monounsaturated fats, potassium and sex all seem to lower my inflammation significantly.

Alcohol seems to lower my inflammation temporarily but then I get an awful rebound effect the next day so I don’t drink at all anymore.

1 Like