In your opinion what better, topamax or depakote?

As a mood stabilizer? I’m currently on depakote, but topamax attracts me because you can lose weight on that. But if that’s the only benefit I’ll continue not overeating and try like heck to lose weight on depakote.

Topamax made me aggressive and violent.

2 Likes

Topamax is a weak mood stabilizer.
Depakote is usually more effective.

2 Likes

Okay, we seem to have similar attributes with our personality on invega and I have a feeling I would be agressive and violent too. Every time I’m around food, I think of zombiemombies advice, fist sized portions

1 Like

Thanks @Wave, I’m going to ask for an increase maybe. My depression was really bad last night. I think I’m in a depressed episode, haven’t had mania in a while.

1 Like

Yep, flat front of the fist. It really works.

1 Like

Gabapentin works good for me, but I have to take a pretty high dosage.

1 Like

Gabapentin is anti anxiety. Never heard of it as a mood stabilizer

It is used for many things, but it is an anti convulsant. It does help with anxiety and stress as well.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks 1515151

Gabapentin is almost useless as a mood stabilizer.
But it’s effective for anxiety.

1 Like

Hello howxs life !!!

1 Like

Not bad, thanks for asking. Just got back from a mile run. How about you?

I find depakote a good med. I also tried to lower it because of my weight, but I went extremely anxious and I couldn’t stop pacing with a smaller dose. It was scary. Lamictal or lithium never calmed this anxiety, so I presume that depakote is good. Not sure, that topamax will be so effective on me either but I never tried it. And yeap, depakote also helps me a bit with the depression…

2 Likes

It’s worked for me for 5 years. I tried everything else…

1 Like

I think I had to get blood draws to check liver function on depakote. I lost a ton of weight on topomax, all I would eat was steak. I’m on lamictal now and it gives me no side effects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.