I'm coming off invega sustenna

I am on invega should be getting off it and being put on aristada. My mom thinks invega is my best med. Don’t know why. I’m lactating and my world seems so upside down. Not able to feel anything since my brain is basically not working. I feel brain dead. Hoping when I get off this it goes away. I also can’t stop overthinking. I have severe akathisa which is stopping me from sleeping. I keep having to walk around I walk most of the day.

1 Like

Have you been on other meds or is invega your first?
I would encourage you to keep trying other meds, in case the aristada doesn’t work exactly as planned.
But also, rememeber that the invega in its injection form has a very big half life, so you have a (relatively) long road ahead of you. You probably already know all this.
Don’t give up! Keep us posted on your progress!

1 Like

Good luck zyprexa works a lot better for me

1 Like

Invega is kinda like my first. Been on it off and on for the past 5 years. Since I’ve been 18. And yeah I know that invega takes a while to completely leave the system. I’m in a program so I can’t come off all meds completely right now soo I’m going on aristada. I’m also living with my mom but I plan on moving out soon with my bf finally lol. Will keep you guys updated!

1 Like

Because you got to put in the effort to lose the weight you gained,your body adapts to your new weight on the medicine by eating more and strives to maintain the weight even when you are off medicine

1 Like

How’s it going being off of Invega Sustenna? Did you find that your weight decreased?

1 Like

Well, my weight decreased a bit, but not very much, because I started taking another antipsychotic to replace the invega. It was enough that I noticed a difference, but not as much as I wanted, unfortunately
But there are weight neutral APs out there, its just a matter of finding them

Try ziprasidone with Metformin, this combination should be close to weight neutral

1 Like

What antipsychotics are you on now? Which on is weight neutral? I find Invega not to be weight neutral and I keep gaining weight from it!! I also feel very slowed down from it not good at all.

1 Like

Right now I’m taking Zyprexa and Vraylar.
For me Invega and Zyprexa are not weight neutral, but every antipsychotic has different effects for every different person out there. Zyprexa makes a lot of people gain weight, however, for some people it is weight neutral. I would suggest you try a different antipsychotic, starting with the ones that have a higher chance of being weight neutral - no guarantees, though.
I would advise starting with something like Vraylar, Latuda, Geodon. Oh, and also, make sure to talk to your doctor before starting any of these meds!

My doc said that they want me on abilify maintena 300ml for at least 2 years and then they will see if I can come off as they said a minimum of 2 years.

1 Like

How much weight did you lose from stopping Invega? I’m hoping to get on latuda soon hopefully it stops my positive symptoms and makes the weight decrease.

1 Like

I lost all my muscle mass on Invega…and I don’t have any strength to workout at all…I used to be very fit and hold my own in the gym until I started Invega and now I can’t even workout at all. It absolutely sucks…I can’t drop any weight no matter how hard I diet.

2 Likes

I talked with my pdoc and I’m no longer going to be taking Invega.
I hope this is a good decision.

1 Like

@Helpmeimvega
Well, I actually was able to lose weight on it, but I had to eat like 1200 calories a day to see any weight loss. I’m not sure if counting calories/macronutrients is something you would consider, but it can be a massive help in knowing how much the invega is affecting you, in terms of metabolism slow down, and accomplishing your weight loss goals.
After I stopped invega, I was able to recover my strength in the gym and I was able to rebuild the muscle mass I had before. After stopping the invega, I didnt need to consume only 1200 calories anymore, and was able to eat a bit more and still lose weight. I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but if you once were fit and had muscle mass and then stopped working out for a while, rebuilding that lost muscle will be a lot easier than if you had to start from zero. Like you, I couldn’t workout while taking invega.
I think trying the latuda will be a good move for you! What other antiosychotics have you tried, if I may ask, and how did you do on them?

I’ve been on abilify but it did nothing for my positive symptoms. I’ve restricted my calories to 1200 calories before and still wasn’t able to lose any weight at all. I guess I’ll give it another shot. I just get frustrated as I don’t see very much results at all but I mean it’s worth a go again I guess.

1 Like

I was the same way before too! I had more motivation and I was always active. This has taken my sex drive and for me it’s hard to produce semen even tho I still can. But, when I do it doesn’t feel good. It’s just like a blank feeling. My doctor agreed to lower my dose to 75mg this coming month and I’m a little nervous. I PRAY my psychosis doesn’t come back!

1 Like

You’ll probably be fine. If you don’t like invega I recommend abilify maintena… I switched to 200 mg 8 months ago from invega trinza and so far so good although I’m waiting to feel all the amazing changes that are bound to happen like regaining emotions, having a better sexual life, loosing weight and having better cognition.

1 Like

I was on Invega shots in 2020. Started it at the beginning of February 2020 and my doctor took me off in May 2020, then switched to Risperdal injections, which I’m still on but will not be taking it anymore this June. Had 2 156mg shots of Invega and 1 117mg. I didn’t realize anything was wrong until I started to feel more alive and interested in things again after 6 months of being off Invega. Just about 12 months of now. Still struggle with motivation and energy as I’m still on an AP that blocks dopamine, but it’s a serotonin agonist which explains why I feel lively and interested again, like before other antipsychotics like Haldol and Fluphenazine or however you spell it. Took those before Invega. I feel a lot better and can’t wait to be able to work and workout without it feeling like a drag like I’d feel after 6-7 hours of work.

2 Likes

Hi, I was just wondering if you are back to normal being of of i Vega? Has all those horrible side effects gone like washing and bathing and listening to music again

1 Like