I'm coming off invega sustenna

Seems like it. I have a history of noncompliance with pills. So tomorrow I’m going to ask my pdoc about the Abilify Maintena shot.

2 Likes

I had brief psychotic disorder with schizoaffective disorder and Invega really helped me. But consult with your doctor on trying something else schizophrenia has a 45% remission rate according to NCBI.

1 Like

Hi, new here. I’ve been on injectable paliperidone for 2 years. I attempted suicide after a couple months and gained 80 pounds in the first year. I’ve recovered from the depression but not the weight gain. I’m functioning but don’t experience normal emotions like joy or sadness. Unfortunately I can still experience anger and that’s about it. Seriously impaired memory and language abilities. Sleep is erratic. Sometimes fine for a stretch, then not so.

The doctor who prescribed my paliperidone injection (under duress) told me I could taper off after 2 years and the effect would be permanent. He told me I would not need to be hospitalized again if I took it for a year or two (last time was my sixth stay in the psych ward in the space of 14 years). My questions:

1. Has anyone else heard that theory or was my doctor a quack?
  2. For those of you who have successfully stopped paliperidone, did you relapse into psychosis? How long after stopping?
2 Likes

The effect isn’t permanent unfortunately you will have to take meds for life

2 Likes

I quit Invega. I was fine for 6 months, then began havinh symptons again. You do not get permanent cures from antipsychotics.

Also:

Welcome.

If you find yourself in need of help, just tag a moderator. Type the @ symbol, then our names

@DearZombie , @Ninjastar , @Moonbeam, and @rogueone

Enjoy your stay with us!

3 Likes

I don’t believe the effect is permanent.
I haven’t relapsed, but I am taking another antipsychotic to replace the invega

1 Like

If the meds remove your psychosis then the goal of the treatment is fulfilled. Most of us have sexual and weight problems. some of these side effect will improve when your meds is adjusted and the same with the negatives.

1 Like

I did the bottle for 20 years. It nearly killed me 17 years ago.

1 Like

Hey did you ever get your nostalgia back? I take invega sistema also and I feel as if I’m not alive because the emotion of nostalgia isn’t there I can’t feel old nostalgias or create new ones I’m wondering if I come off of invega sustenna if I’ll get my nostalgic emotions back can you please let me know if you got your nostalgic emotion back @AccreditedPsych

3 Likes

Are you on abilify en invasion together? I am and I felt much better after adding 5 mg abilify. But I don’t know if I Will feel even better if I up the dose to 10mg abilify. Or if I Will get to sedated. Whats your experience?

2 Likes

I am not on Invega. I quit that in Dec 2019. I take Aristada 440mg once every 4 weeks. Never feel sedated.

3 Likes

Hey! @Blank I’m sorry to say I havent got my nostalgic feelings back and, like you, cant create new ones. I wonder if before meds I felt feelings that much stronger and it wasnt normal to feel things like that and thats why I notice a difference. It’s either that or the antipsychotics block that part of the brain…

Its sad to not get these moments back, however, my quality of life off invega has improved quite significantly. I like my life right now as it is and have gotten many things back after switching from the invega. I decided not to get hung up on these things, although deep down I will still try the newest antipsychotic that comes out to see if I might get it back

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that the feelings of nostalgia haven’t came back for you :confused: that’s basically the feeling of life, I feel so numb after I took my 1st shot of invega I also can’t feel any atmospheres when I go places let’s say I go to the movies I don’t feel as if I’m at the movies I’m numb @AccreditedPsych

3 Likes

I was on a monthly injection recommended by my then nurse practitioner. Suffice to say i’m off it now.

2 Likes

I was on invega for 5 months and went off last October CT was nightmare but am still in recovery hope will make it through.
As far as I know withdrawals from the injection comes late I hope I don’t have them in the future. Life is much better without them still my feeling is not recovered until today.

2 Likes

One month the nurse who was giving my injection didn’t put the cap on the vial tight enough and some of the invega spilled out. By the end of the month I was having bad withdrawals even though I was injected with most of my normal amount.

1 Like

How come the weight gain didn’t stop after you were off your medication??

1 Like
2 Likes

I definitely believe you bro… for about 3 years i been taking invega i wanted to harm myself for 2

2 Likes

im going through the same thing. but my family think I need it. i never felt depressed until i took invega

3 Likes