If Rituximab is proven as a successful treatment to SZ would it replace AP or would it be only used in extreme cases due to the price?

Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody that is used to treat certain types of cancer and autoimmune diseases. [It has been studied as an adjunctive treatment for schizophrenia spectrum disorder (SSD) and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) based on the inflammatory hypothesis for mental disorders. In an explorative study, it was found that treatment-resistant schizophrenia benefitted from add-on treatment with rituximab. Patients with schizophrenia, but not those with OCD, were much improved. A ≥ 40% decrease of symptoms was seen in 7/9 patients with schizophrenia week 12. [Disability was diminished by 64% in patients with schizophrenia week 12]

I wonder if overuse of monoclonal antibodies could contribute to an enlarged resistome like the overuse of antibiotics has?

1 Like

That good question, I suppose we find out the hard way :skull:

The completed phase 1 study was in Sweden. There is an ongoing phase 2 trial in Sweden.
For other uses, severe side effects have included death and disability.
It might be a decade, if ever, before USA use might be remotely possible.
There are biosimilars of the med.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I was wandering if similar med would have the same effect, perhaps one med doesn’t included death as a side effect.

1 Like

That is what I was going to say. This would be a step backwards in treatment, not forwards.

I also wonder if the reason it works in TR patients is because so many autoimmune disorders cause hallucinations. People with hallucinations caused by those disorders might not respond as well to traditional treatments, because the issue isn’t dopamine so much as a hyperactive immune system.

2 Likes

Air particel I was just as desperately for a quick fix but that is maybe not possible now. Try to armor yourself with patience and knowledge those are the best weapons for this terrifying condition.

2 Likes