I was told that I need to be on meds for my whole life

how to accept this? i have a hard time accepting it

1 Like

I was told the same. But I don’t mind

Both of my psychiatrists told me I need to take an antipsychotic for the rest of my life. I wasn’t happy about it and I don’t agree with that. Maybe someday I can come off my antipsychotic or reduce it. I don’t have delusions anymore so I think I should be able to at least reduce my antipsychotic.

1 Like

Most of us will be.

I don’t see what the big deal is.

People have to take medications for all sorts of things their whole lives.

4 Likes

I’ve tried reducing my antipsychotics many times over the past year, but I always seem to hit a “wall” at a certain level where breakthrough symptoms occur. There is a very good chance that I will be on low levels of antipsychotics the rest of my life as well.

2 Likes

I’ve been on my neuroleptics for over a decade now and I know I’ll be on them till I perish. It’s not that bad to me.

3 Likes

Its not so bad dear… Even the normies are subscribed to all kind of other meds too…
My pdoc was saying, that we should sacrifice smth around that illness, the others do the same tbh…
You can be happy, really, you wont even be bothered that you need some ap, am crossing fingers, that youll find that soon!!!

1 Like

I’ve accepted the fact that i’m going to be on mental health medication for the rest of my life. I feel better on them than I do off them. I’m happy I have my meds.

2 Likes

I was told the same.

1 Like

I was told I’d have to be in meds my entire life in the first month I was sick. I am on very low dose of two meds now. I am not suffering side effects.

1 Like

I was told that too, i have voices all the time so that kinda makes it make sense to me.

2 Likes

I’m sure I will also be on meds til the end of my life. I understand not liking to hear that. I was upset when I was first told about it. But I thought about it lots and lots and even though I still don’t like that idea, I prefer the way I feel on meds. I don’t miss the psychotic episodes and feeling outcast all the time.

I hope the feeling goes away for you soon. Meds are a part of life for many, including us.

2 Likes

One doctor said that to me after my first episode at the psych hospital, but no other doctors have said it. So maybe don’t weigh too much what one doctor says. All doctors have individual opinions.

It is hard to accept. Sz is a chronic illness and stems from our genetic material therefore it will always be there. This is hard to accept. But you have to accept it in order to live.

Im so sorry this has happened. To everyone on the forum including you and me. You will hopefully improve in the sense that youll know how to develop coping strategies but at best; life will be different for us.

1 Like

Im glad you got there for yourself but for some people it can be a devastating thing to have to rely on antipsychotics given their potential adverse side effects. Considering OPs age, i can totally understand why its hard to accept and is a big deal to her. Still, though, you are right lots of people are on meds for life and its just unfortunately something we have to come to terms with one way or another. Therapy can help crystal. When youre ready.

1 Like

It’s not life long for everyone.

Aps mostly dampen the brain to reduce symptoms. Not a real cure.

I’ve been off meds for 6 months now and I’m doing OK. Stay hopeful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s really pretty stupid since they don’t actually know how to treat psychosis yet. They’ve found that dopamine can affect schizophrenia, but isn’t the cause. From what I’ve read; you don’t even have schizophrenia. I know, you may have something they treat similarly.

I’ve been on meds for 40 years. You get used to it.

2 Likes

i will take risperdal for the length of time where i’m sane anyway.

don’t know when this will be.