I wanna share with you the ONE chapter of the book I tried writing

I only wrote one chapter, 50% true, 50% imagination. Let me know what you think

Chapter One
I laid on the hotel bed. Took a new selfie, I had recently done a balayage on my

hair after all, platinum blonde. I’ve always been a brunette, I kept looking at the picture to confirm I was indeed half-blonde, half-brunette. Why did I always have to be a brunette?

I unpacked my reusable plastic bag in the dimly lit hotel room, August had been a disaster. There was my office mug, a jar of Nescafe Gold, my iPhone charging cable, a book about graphic design, a journal, some pens. I had just lost my job an hour ago, at 9:15 am sharp. “You just can’t focus” “You got so much on your mind” my manager had told me. Unfortunately, It was true. Anxiety sucks I told myself, I didn’t deserve this with all the hard work I’ve been doing to maintain my job. 3 Months in, my manager fired me without a second thought. I was just a number in their huge corporation, a useless sheep, cropping pictures and pasting price tags on ready-made packages. I kept making mistakes because I couldn’t focus.

I had nothing to do, I opened my MacBook and wrote a message to my girlfriend on my WhatsApp Mac application. I didn’t wanna tell her I got fired. The feeling sucked other than admitting I no longer could do the 9-6 pm work shift. At 28 years old, I didn’t have the health to keep up with a regular boring underpaid job. I had a good savings account from freelancing for many years, so I was not worried. They paid me 4 days extra along with my biweekly salary and let me go in the morning, they didn’t even wait until it was dawn so I could walk out with some dignity. “You can keep this” My manager had told me while giving me the reusable plastic bag full of my of- fice clutter.

“Hey Jen” I said “Do you wanna meet for a drink tonight at the hotel lobby?” “I am not doing well”

There was no answer. Probably she was busy at her job working at the learning disability centre. She was such a better human than I ever was. She cared more about helping others and making a difference in the world around us. She slept in the cen- tre, cooked meals for the patients, bathed them. I didn’t have that kind of patience or grace.

I walked back to the bed and laid down. My apartment had flooded two months ago when my landlord sent a plumber to fix my clogged bathroom. It was an old building, from 1960’s, 3 and a half with a medium sized kitchen and a very old bath- room. The guy had told me it’s fixed but when I woke up in the morning to the sound of water I freaked out. Between the landlord and the insurance company, the insur- ance company had given me a choice to select a hotel to stay in until they fixed the flooded apartment. Obviously I had selected the closest hotel to my new job, it was 15 minutes walking distance.

The hotel had a questionable quality. In the morning I saw gentlemen having meet- ings and corporate gatherings when I went down to light a cigarette with my morning coffee in my flip-flops. In the evenings I saw drunken and possibly drugged prostitutes waking across the hallway to their rooms when I returned from work.

My room was pretty big and had a small built-in kitchen. They didn’t do the daily main- tenance though, I didn’t have a designated cleaning person who did my dishes, they piled up within one week of staying there until one day I complained to the lobbyist. They did send someone to clean the room the next day but that was the only time within the two months that I had stayed there. “Another month to go” I told myself. I was stuck in this hotel room for another month without a job until my apartment was fixed. I didn’t have anything to look forward to.

4 Likes

Interesting start. I like the way you set up the world. It was very easy to picture.

1 Like

I love that feedback :star_struck:

1 Like

It makes me want to know what happens next. Good start.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.