I think we’re getting scammed

Why would they cut off the water if you overpaid? That doesn’t make any sense. I would go in person and ask about it.

3 Likes

Thanks @ThePoet and @TomCat

I may ignore the whole thing because I’m 99% certain it’s a scam.

Now it’s just pissing me off.

1 Like

These scammers have no shame

There is metadata stored in many photos that includes location and other info.

4 Likes

The only thing I would ask then would be how would they get the photo if they asked them to email it through the email address found on the companies website? I don’t see how they could “spoof” them if they did not provide a link themselves through email or whatever. I don’t know. It’s complicated.

2 Likes

If the website was not the official website, but rather one they made up, it could work. But yeah, best to hang up and then call back the number.

2 Likes

Google the water company phone number. Then call them on monday on your IPhone, not landline.

3 Likes

Yea they could just be expecting them to call back frantically and then scam them when they ask what email to send the photo to. They may ask for your credit card information at that time etc… you never know with scammers. There’s always that element of surprise especially in this tech age. It could be as simple as they have other information about someone and just need an address name soctal insurance etc etc. Who knows lol… good luck I hope it’s not a scam.

1 Like

yeah, I’m having a hard time seeing the exact details of the scam and how they could benefit, but the “shutting off because you overpaid” sounds suspicious nonetheless. I don’t know. People can be clever and you never know how they plan to benefit.

2 Likes

Shutting off because you overpaid actually is quite a unintelligent scam if it is one…you would think that they would at least have had the common sense to say that you underpaid or something.

2 Likes

This is the best thing to do. Don’t go to the email they referred you too. Call the actual company on Monday and see what they say. It definitely sounds like a scam

1 Like

Lol good point. Just thinking about it hough they may be trying to trigger people to anger as that backward logic may trigger a lot of people into calling out of anger…

As soon as they answer: name, address, account number, credit card number please or else we can’t help you

Idk I don’t know much about scammers as I’m always broke anyways. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I may go directly to the company in person on Monday.

Thanks for the idea @TomCat

4 Likes

Phone numbers can be spoofed. I had one puporting to be from the DWP, about my personal independace payment. Knew it was a con tho, cos it was on a Saturday when they are not open.

Sounds like the classic refund scam. What they are really after is your bank details.

3 Likes

Oh thanks @Naarai
Good to know

1 Like

Thanks to everyone but it was legitimate.
I contacted them and everything panned out.

I am still a bit paranoid but that’s just me.

3 Likes

Lol glad it was fine. I had a feeling it was, didn’t mean to make you paranoid just was thinking the worse case. It’s still weird how they threatened to turun off your water but maybe they just use the same form for both over paying and under paying.

e31

2 Likes

I did what @everhopeful suggested.
Calling from cell phone.

Thanks!

1 Like

And I used the phone number listed on their web site and bill

1 Like

I misunderstood the message on the answering machine.
They can’t properly get an electronic reading because there’s an issue with our meter.
We scheduled an appointment so they can come to place a new updated meter.
We are not the only ones with this issue.

1 Like