I saw a man in a winter coat shouting at a drinking fountain

Before I had my current struggles with this illness, I lived in a community where a man would wander the downtown area, mumbling to himself, shouting at drinking fountains and parking meters.

Now that I have been through this, why didn’t the police pick him up and take him to the hospital? It was a daily thing to see this man wandering the streets day and night. He was dirty, always wore the same winter coat even in summer, smelled terrible. Obviously psychosis going on.

I’m sure he isn’t on the forum here for example.

Anybody know someone like that?

2 Likes

There was a man in my town wore heavy winter clothes all the time.he constantly yelled obscenities and would block traffic…I once saw him with arms raised holding a stick screaming to the sky I imagined him defending our town like gandalf…he was on disability and had a family but he liked sleeping under one of our bridges with his dog…he recently died…I was always nice to him but he always ignored me…

6 Likes

There is a man in my town that we call 50 cent. He’s been homeless for as long as I can remember and he just wanders around asking people for 50 cents. He’ll even knock on your car windows and ask. He always smells like alcohol and staggers like he’s drunk.
I wonder why he hasn’t been picked up. In the winter he sits inside atm booths and drinks coffee. He’s actually really nice, just hard to understand when he speaks. His words are kind of jumbled.

1 Like

I went through involuntary commitment and the attorney appointed to was irate over this issue. Why not treat people like that too instead of the circus that goes on with an involuntary commitment. Now that I’ve been through so t, I don’t get it.

1 Like

yep, there’s a woman who lives around here. I always see her on the same street usually. she’s carrying a suitcase around with her 24/7, and is always talking to nobody - her voices

I feel terrible for these types of people…they are a warning its dangerous to go too far down the rabbit hole…but how society deals with them is beyond terrible…

1 Like

I think I get what what you’re trying to say.
I don’t think there’s enough help for homeless people. My family is currently struggling with this.
My big sister is addicted to hard drugs. My brother rescued her from the city and brought her home. He cared for her, till she overdosed in his house, then he said he had to ask her to leave, because he has kids and he couldn’t trust her. My mom tried to take her in, till she almost burned her house down several times.
She refused rehab and help. Sorry, long back story there…
But now she disappeared. She is homeless somewhere in BC, and that is all we know. My brother knows a prostitute in that area, and had her look for my sister. We learned that she hangs outside of a homeless shelter with some shady people. She sometimes dresses in all black, with back makeup all over her face, and sometimes wears bright pink pants and a big fur coat. The police can’t do anything, since she is just one of thousands of homeless junkies in BC. There is not enough help for these people, and it’s harder when it’s your own family. Her parole officer can’t even do anything, because she’s out of province. We are helpless, at the moment. And she refuses to come home, again. In her mind she’s living the dream, but winter is coming. :slight_frown:

1 Like

Never thought about Canada when I started this thread, that seems impossible to survive winter as a homeless drug addicted person in Canada.

In the United States I believe that the homeless should be swept up, given psychiatric assessments, treatment, and the opportunity to live in group homes like wave talked about. They all should qualify for Medicaid programs.

2 Likes

The one we had here had all the support possible…but like I said he just wanted to be alone with his dog living under a bridge…hate to say it but some of them might be beyond repair with our current system…

1 Like

Luckily, in BC the winters are pretty mild and there isn’t much for snowfall.
I’m still worried.
Here Alberta, the winters are usually around -20° to -30° Celsius and we get many feet of snow. One morning we hit -50° and everyone was freaking out. My brother’s friend froze to death, because he was partying and drinking, and didn’t realize he was cold.
I always worry for the homeless people. 50 cent is actually smart to stay in ATM booths, because they’re heated.
There should be programs for the homeless. I agree.

2 Likes

I live in medicine hat alberta canada. There’s this guy who’s homeless and we all call him one eye willy, cause he has only one eye. He gave me change for bus. he’s always dirty and sleeps outside and I think he is on aish because he had a lot of money, but he sleeps outside and somebody stole it off him. Last time I seen him I gave him 5 bucks and 5 smokes he’s pretty nice guy .

1 Like