I know I need my Ap's but studies like this worry me

https://www.nature.com/articles/1300710#:~:text=In%20summary%2C%20we%20found%20that,both%20gray%20and%20white%20matter.

“In summary, we found that chronic exposure of monkeys to haloperidol or olanzapine in a manner that mimics clinical use is associated with a significant reduction in brain volume that affects both gray and white matter.”

5 Likes

I don’t want to get more stupid every year.

1 Like

It’s better than being psychotic.

2 Likes

I know, it frightened me too. I was capable of reducing the dose slowly together with my team. Maybe you too can search for a lower dose?

Whatever you do, never quit cold turkey, and always discuss reductions.

In case reducing or quitting isnt an option…I myself realised at some point that i would better have a bit less brain than no brain at all because i was dead from psychosis. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I don’t believe in that. One reason is, because why haven’t people gotten stupider by now. People have been taking medicine for years. and I’ve never heard of that before.

Why don’t you believe it? It is a legit study. Monkey studies and brain damage is also mentioned in a book I’m reading “surviving schizophrenia”. and the author is pro med. Don’t deny just because you dont want to believe it.

1 Like

There is enough research about it. And I actually have gotten stupider. Denying the damage of AP isnt realistic.

Sometimes the benefit is bigger though. Also, many things probably damage the brain: alcohol, too much internet use, bad diet, falls, some sports. The brain also has ways to work around damage. There are even people with huge brain damage that still function okay.

2 Likes

One reason is monkeys don’t live as long as we do, so it doesn’t make sense.

Could you explain the logic of this argument?

Also, it has been shown in humans too.

I think denying meds have problematic effects makes no sense, if you know enough information. Which is why they should only be used as last resort. Sometimes damage without meds is bigger though.

1 Like

What does lifespan have to do with it? They exposed them for 17 to 27 months to the AP’s.

Yeah, Psychosis causes damage too. The choices are just not very good…Psychosis and brain damage or just brain damage.

I’m not positive if I’m correct. It takes time if the aps to affect your brain. That’s why it doesn’t makes since if the monkeys got affected quicker than we do.

There is brain damage. It is shown in humans too. It is there very soon after starting. Which is why it is so incredibly stupid psychiatrists rely on pills only and arent more careful about prescribing them. I see that as a huge mistake.

On the other hand, stressing about it doesnt help much either. If you need meds, you need meds.

Also, i think they dont really know yet what the damages mean. I found this recently and found it rather uplifting:

1 Like

In reality us szers are just guniea pigs with meds that have very serious side effects. Sit back and enjoy the show lol.

4 Likes

Haldol is really useful for migraines. Hopefully I don’t have to take it long term though.

1 Like

Why have they not figured it out in humans before this study.

1 Like

I believe psychosis causes more brain damage, I had severe memory issues, severe headaches, aggressivity, homicidal, suicidal, etc without meds. We have no other option than taking meds. I tried to quit meds b4, ended in mental hospital everytime.

2 Likes

They have. They did find brain damage. If im correct they fought eachother for a while whether the damage was due to illness or meds. The monkeys made it possible to show it was the meds.

I know there is also evidence now from studies where they randomly put people in a control group with no meds and a meds group. The meds group has damage the control group hasnt. Which shows the same as the monkey study.

1 Like

I lose my memory when psychotic. I can’t remember what I did for long periods of time. That can’t be good for you.

APs are a necessity with this illness. I am more worried about heart disease.

I understand the plea of not guilty by reason of insanity now. Never got that before. I am lucky I never did anything I got in trouble for.

5 Likes

It is a real good reason to use as little meds as possible.

It is not a reason to quit meds you truly need though. I showed the article about the guy with almost no brain. He was functioning relatively okay. If you walk around delusional thinking you should kill yourself or talk to trees or whatever, you are not “relatively okay”.

2 Likes