I just complained to the BBC

There was a story on the news of a person with schizophrenia stabbing someone to death, and I could not help thinking, would this story be on the news if he was not mentally ill. I put a complaint in because doing so leaves people thinking that schizophrenia can make you dangerous which is not true. People with this illness should not be open to discrimination because of some drug users and people that have gone into psychosis. Lol I want to know if it will make it onto the complaints program.

15 Likes

Good job!
I think normies do more killing than mentally ill persons, just my guess on what i hear and see on tv.
Did you mention you have an illness and youre functional in society and a good person in general?

2 Likes

Can you post how you did it and I will do the same.

I saw this too

3 Likes

Yes, I talked about people like me with this illness receiving discrimination because of their poor choice of a story.

3 Likes

Just Google BBC news complaints

1 Like

I saw it. Is it just me or in the eyes of the media/public ‘paranoid schizophrenia’ sounds a lot more dangerous than just ‘schizophrenia ‘

I have noticed news often says paranoid sz

4 Likes

If someone was stabbed to death it would be on the news regardless. They don’t just report murders by mentally ill people, but in the reporting it does make it sound like people should be weary of paranoid schizophrenics. But that’s the lovely media!!! Sarcasm there!

1 Like

Not true. Out of the 100 + stories in the past year, they chose this one. It is completely unfair and they should not have put this story up.

1 Like

You need to stop using Schizophrenia as an excuse for murderers doing what they have done. You’re raising stigma and making people like me out to be dangerous psychos. Being Schizophrenic is not a prerequisite to stabbing someone multiple times. 1% of the population have this illness, and believe me, there would be a big problem if that many people behaved like this because of the illness. It has to stop. You’re not helping the situation of many thousands of people who are suffering because of this. I cannot even tell anyone I am a schizophrenic because of this kind of media representation. Why don’t you write stories about Schizophrenia where people are not doing something wrong for a change? We’re all trying hard to live our lives peacefully as we can, and just cherry picking the worst examples of us is wholly mis-representing an entire population of people.

6 Likes

Writing a complaint now. Hold on.

2 Likes

We need to get as many people UK based to complain as possible.

They will have to listen if they get enough of them

2 Likes

I’m also want to write a complain. Give me the link

2 Likes

newswatch@bbc.co.uk
This is the email address.

3 Likes

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to file a complaint on a news coverage about a person with schizophrenia whom has committed a murder. Please do not reveal my name if this email is released to the general public.

After my arrival in my home country for recovery of my physical condition, I have relied on news from the BBC as a source of English news coverage. I disliked the stigma against schizophrenia and the media companies in my home country that only covered stories of murders committed by people with schizophrenia. In my home country, having schizophrenia is often associated with lower social standings, shame, and rejection from their own family members, friends, and even parents. However, when I saw the news coverage on a murder committed by a person with schizophrenia on the BBC, I shivered in fear as I know that I cannot avoid the stigma anywhere.

Violence and schizophrenia is a very common misconception and myth related to this illness, and the rates of crimes committed by person with schizophrenia is significantly lower than the crimes committed by a normal person. Picking this story exclusively to identify schizophrenia as violence can bring very negative sentiments in the general public against schizophrenia, ​and the majority of people of schizophrenia have to continue living in fear, shame, and rejection from the general population.

Please consider that people with schizophrenia are mostly not violent and these news coverage can deter a person with schizophrenia from accepting treatment because of the shame and dishonour they experience through the stigma of the general public, mostly influenced by false perceptions of the media.

I have been living with schizophrenia for 7 years and I have never committed a violent act. Due to the rising level of stigma in my country, I have lived the past 3 years in pain, suffering, and shame due to the oppression. I sincerely ask you to not to oppress those with schizophrenia nor generate stigma against schizophrenia by creating negative posts, such as this one, with a false perception of my illness.

​I would also like to send condolences to the victim and their ​family members in this tough time.

Thank you for your consideration and your time.

10 Likes

I just sent this. 151515

2 Likes

Well written. 151515

2 Likes

I am just so done with this world guys. Does anyone love me, even?
Because I’m schizophrenic?
Am I that less of a value?
No where is safe for me… no one wants me…

2 Likes

It does sound worse, for example in the movie Batman the dark night , Batman refers to one bad guy (shiff) from Arkham asylum as a paranoid schizophrenic and the guy looks super sketchy.

4 Likes

Yeah I remember that scene

3 Likes

Look at the title if u click on it

Also psychiatrist said he was no danger 24 hrs before it happened

3 Likes