I have social anxiety...what will i do

do I avoid situations or do I open up about having social anxiety. what is the cure

Not sure if there is a ā€œcureā€ but certain things can help.

Meds wise I got a great response to gabapentin in terms of alleviating social anxiety. Some folk have a hard time with it though - some talk of hypomania.

Not to versed on psychological therapies but I am sure other folk on this site could tell you more about them.

is gabapentin a medication

I go with intuition.

If it doesnā€™t feel right, I donā€™t bother.

My only two issues with ā€˜being out thereā€™ are being taken advantage of
and the ā€˜mind readingā€™ thing

But in the big scheme of things the ā€˜mind reading thingā€™ is no oneā€™s fault - I just had to adapt a new bizarre thought etiquette while in public.

As for being taken advantage of - thatā€™s were intuition comes in useful. If anything, this new disorder makes us more aware and empathic so we can psycho-analyze people we meet easier now than we could previously.
Itā€™s easier for us to ā€˜see throughā€™ others and thatā€™s half the battle.

2 Likes

Yeah gabapentin is a med. think itā€™s trade name is neurontin. Was primarily developed as an anti-convulsant. They then found it was good for nerve pain.

It is fairly new to psychiatric circles but a few folk on this site have found it helpful for anxiety. Donā€™t think it is addictive like benzos.

I try to make myself go out every weekend to fight my social anxiety.I am taking only antipsychotic and antidepressant and I need them.Go out,find someone to talk to,it can help!Good luck

2 Likes