I hate it when people think its cool to be "crazy"

Yes its cool becouse you are week, you are going to psichiatris once a month, you use medication, you dont work you have your past filled with colours and thames, you have no money and dont want, you dont have friends and dont want and you dont like doing anything. And you say how fun is to be alive

1 Like

This post made me think a lot. I know I have a tendency when Iā€™m doing ok to laugh and joke about the crazy things I say and do when Iā€™m unwell, in a sort of self-deprecating humour, ā€˜ha ha Iā€™m such a nutterā€™ā€¦ but itā€™s sort of a defence mechanism for me, although I do realise that it is not an ideal way to behave as it undermines the seriousness of this illness, and I know that the same people who see my crazy antics and hear the bizarre things I say when Iā€™m high and/or psychotic, do no see the pain and guilt and suffering that I hide behind closed doors. I do agree with you though, it really irks me when people diagnose themselves with serious mental illnesses just because theyā€™ve said or done something a bit unusual, (Iā€™ve tidied my house for 3 hours, Iā€™m so OCD lolā€™, I canā€™t stop giggling, Iā€™m so bipolar lol)ā€¦ there is nothing cool or fun about having a mental illness, and again, it undermines the agony of people who really do suffer with these conditions. I hope that people in my life donā€™t think that I think itā€™s cool to have a mental illness, I do worry that I give them that impression when I joke about it, but I never tell people when Iā€™m depressed, paranoid, hallucinating, and distraught. If people did see that, they certainly wouldnā€™t think it was cool

1 Like

I remember in high school 2002-2006 when my symptoms first started, there were girls who would go around bragging about how they got Seroquel or whatever else like it was something to be proud of.

Mental illness is a curse. Youā€™re just supposed to deal with the fact that youā€™re going to be miserable forever regardless of how wonderful your life is and then youā€™re expected to be all sunny and hopeful about it all. Ridiculous. My optimism burned out a long time ago.

3 Likes

Iā€™d rather people view it as cool than associate the schizo stigma to it.

Iā€™ve never seen anything but negative PR for schizophrenia, which is one reason I never sought help earlier.

I didnā€™t want the stigma.

It didnā€™t put me to sleep instantly. This was during my manic episode, and I had been up all night acting crazy in the streets until I was brought into the ER, completely disorganized, by the police. They asked me to take my medication, but I didnā€™t want to, so four nurses came and held me down as I writhed and wriggled, screaming, and the fifth pulled my pants off which made me feel violated and injected me with Haldol.

It took a few seconds, but it was like I was no longer superhuman, I was mortal again, euthymic, and all the events that had been happening in the past few weeks had caught up to me at last and the writing on the walls disappeared, the voices stopped, my mind was clear again. I passed out from exhaustion and the tranquilizing effects of the medication. It truly is magic sanity juice.

yea its real cool to think that youā€™re gonna lose your ā– ā– ā– ā–  in public and end up staring into space until the dog catchers have to come and lock you up. I canā€™t even go out in public because of this.

good point @Anna. My doctor told me the other day, that Im not gonna be ā€œfineā€ I will always struggle. I remember when anxiety and depression were my only issues. It is a curse.

too bad Im a catatonic nutcase psycho, theres nothing ā€œartsyā€ or ā€œhipā€ about it.
I might wink at myself in the bathroom mirror and point like Im Elvis Presley from time to time, but nobody ever catches that part.

1 Like

Seems to be cool as long as you can treat it like a half hour TV show where everything bad gets resolved by the end of the show, then you turn it off and resume your regular life.

Itā€™s not so cool when you struggle to maintain doing regularly needed things, then when an important situation crops up, you come unglued and canā€™t do whatā€™s needed, forcing others to take pover and treat you like a baby. :unamused:

ā€œItā€™s not so cool when you struggle to maintain doing regularly needed things, then when an important situation crops up, you come unglued and canā€™t do whatā€™s needed, forcing others to take over and treat you like a baby.ā€

Like a baby? I suffer from lifelong incontinence and need to wear adult diapers all the time. Itā€™s the result of OCD that is untreatable. Iā€™m also diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and PTSD. Iā€™ll be going into a nursing home soon, and there they definitely treat you like a baby. But for me itā€™s a relief because it means the playing field gets evened up. Everyone there will be disabled in some way - not just me.

Cool? When people say theyā€™re crazy, I tell them,
ā€œMaybe you are, but Iā€™m crazy, and Iā€™ve got the papers to prove it.ā€ That usually shuts them up.

1 Like

The delirium can make it feel cool for a second, haha.

There is a book you would really hate called ā€œFear and Loathing in Los Vegasā€, by Hunter S. Thompson. It inspired a whole generation to want to be crazy.

1 Like

I love that book, but anyone who thinks it is cool to be crazy after reading that must really be crazyā€¦