I hate books books are stupid

self help books do more harm then help

2 Likes

sup infested, try looking at some video’s online. Free ones of course, do a bit of research before you buy/ try something. I hope it doesnt backfire on you.

1 Like

hahaha i better do nothing

gotta try to keep doing something, something you’ve “wanted” to do? hopefully something thats not negative -_-. anyway, like i said before…doesnt matter how fast you do it. Pace yourself~

1 Like

Books are not stupid. Maybe you should watch some videos instead…

1 Like

Most self help books are stupid. Especially any “new age” ones.

3 Likes

I created a topic criticizing self-help books some time ago. Self-help books can do some good but you have to take action anyway. Dependending on the self-help book, if you’re not prepared to receive that kind of information, it can do some harm.

3 Likes

I try to read anything that has a nice color and feel. Usually a smaller book.

2 Likes

I don’t really use a lot of self help books. But I think they can help some people.

Some self-help books do actually help people. Like self-teaching CBT books. They can be helpful.

2 Likes

Fascinating! Just found this article about 30 books to teach yourself CBT:

3 Likes

CBT is on the rise! It is a little difficult, though. More often, you would go to a counselor/psych who is licensed to administer CBT, but people are trying to self-teach now because it can be expensive for most people if counseling/therapy isn’t covered by their insurance.

2 Likes

I believe if you combine self-teaching with professional help you can reap great benefits from it.

Here in Brazil, psychotherapy is still a bit expensive, but there are programs that help poor people by charging a symbolic price for the psychotherapy. I visited one of these psychotherapy clinics place for poor people here in FlorianĂłpolis and the professionals there were very empathetic and considerate.

2 Likes

I think self-help books are here to stay. And books in general are here to stay.

Self-help books may not work for everybody, but they help enough people to make them a very popular genre.

The thing with self-help books is that they take action on the part of whoever is reading them. They require a person to make changes and that takes effort which most people shirk at. A lot of writers who are writing these books offer very good advice on people helping themselves and concrete steps to change the lives of people for the better but it’s not their fault if people don’t follow their advice and do the things they suggest.

1 Like

I had about 5 books on schizophrenia that I liked and kept next to my bed. My wife burned them on the BBQ pit so I don’t have them anymore.

I really don’t read much anymore for leisure unless you count reading the forum here.

I enjoy self-help books as a good one energizes and motivates me. And I just love reading books. Wish I had more time for it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.