I couldn't resist!

British piss take of USA language:

Hilarious. :grin:

11 Likes

Iā€™m American, but thatā€™s hilarious!

3 Likes

Whatever happened to the verb ā€˜areā€™ ???
ā€˜You deadā€™ for example
Sounds stupid :worried:

1 Like

Who does that? People mix up youā€™re and your a lot, but who misses the verb to be altogether?

A lot of people who do not have English as their first language. I notice they will miss using a, is, are, and other things like that. Itā€™s just something that comes with learning a language.

Native speakers donā€™t have that excuse.

2 Likes

What about elevator for lift, or line for queue? But I guess the worst one is when they mistake a toilet for a bathroom.

1 Like

Exactly! did you watch the video? :rofl:

It has to be so literal in American. ā€œEye glasses for glasses, horse back riding for horse riding etc.ā€

1 Like

Honestly thatā€™s just how the vernacular be. As long as it conveys the point or ideas I see no problem with it.

1 Like

I always found it funny how Americans say garage. It sounds so posh, and I am the one who is supposed to be British.

1 Like

Yes, we americans sound dumb compared to english people, but we have no clue, and even in our made up english language we mostly all misspell everything. Their, there, theyā€™re, your, youā€™re are always miss used lol. We do hella love slang tho lol.

1 Like

When word meaning is distorted it does harm the conversation so it is a problem.

English is my third-fourth language but I am still disgusted with some of the dumbifucation.

1 Like

Itā€™s just a culture thingā€¦ not necessarily dumb. Iā€™m American

2 Likes

The thing is language is constantly evolving. Slang terms become commonplace and easily understood. The ways people say things also has bearing on the conversation.

Sometimes improper grammar is used to put emphasis or humour into things.
For example saying ā€œthatā€™s how it be sometimesā€ has a significantly lighter tone to it than ā€œthatā€™s how it is sometimesā€

The sentence with ā€œisā€ I would use more to convey sympathy or even just that something is serious

The sentence with ā€œbeā€ I would use more for ā– ā– ā– ā– -talking my friend in Mario Kart or something.

(Not the best examples but Iā€™m tired)

Not to mention how regional dialects differ.
How people talk in England is completely different from how people talk where Iā€™m from, and people where Iā€™m from talk completely different than people in the south.

None of it is wrong or improper itā€™s just the way people talk.

Also about word meaning being distortedā€¦ idioms and slang do plenty of that, but itā€™s all done for a purpose of communicating things more clearly. Not all words are going to be used in a completely literal sense.

1 Like

For verbal communication with peers you may come up with anything.

When I need to read documents or instructions or research papers, I want them to be clear.

Often these documents are written by non-native speakers. And because they (we) donā€™t know any better, chatspeak and slang that is inappropriate seeps in.

So far I only had minor issues with that. To keep them minor and irrelevant, strict guidelines must be applied, rooted in formal language and not slang. Thankfully parties who do depend on clear records have their policies developed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.