How many of you have college degrees?

I want to go back to college and get a degree in substance abuse Counseling. I’ve hit rock bottom many times do to my illness and substance abuse. I want to change all that and do better. Is it possible for someone like me to get a degree? Advice please!

3 Likes

I have a master of science in biology. I dealt primarily with bipolar stuff in undergrad, then rapid severe cycling and psychosis in med school, which I had to leave due to that. I completed most of the requirements for my M.S. during a period of pretty much total remission. I was pretty sick when I completed the last requirements: finishing the thesis, seminar and oral defense.

3 Likes

I was late onset but my sensitivity to the world was evident when I earned my degree in my twenties…I have a degree in Architecture…

1 Like

Do you have a career in what you studied?

I am bipolar but I have two associates, one in audio engineering and the other in psychology. I was going back to get a bachelor’s in computer science. Probably too much schooling but it is my main choice for a good salary career unless I finish a bachelor’s in psychology and also go to grad school, which would take roughly the same amount of time as a cs degree but would be more expensive

1 Like

Sort of. I tried working in labs, and it never went well. Now I teach biology part-time at a community college.

2 Likes

You can totally do it!! I’m planning on eventually getting back into it. And I believe we can both do it.

My advice is try not to overload yourself

2 Likes

Haven’t figured out exactly how I’m going to do it but I know I am going for it!

3 Likes

Go for it you guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a MCA (Master of Computer Applications) degree completed in 2004. I completed the degree at the peak of my illness and we didn’t have even proper medicines then.

2 Likes

I managed to complete my degree but the last year I was psychotic so I missed a lot of the lectures.

I did a joint major in History and sociology.

1 Like

I do! Got mine a year ago now. I am currently going for a second one :slight_smile:

It is going to be very difficult so be prepared for that and do everything you can to accommodate your illness. If you fail, don’t give up keep pressing forward. I failed a good number of classes when I’d have episodes but you know what? I retook them when I was better and everything ended up ok. It may take longer but I really do believe if you are determined to do it, and you have the right accommodations, you totally can.

My recommendations
-Get involved w your school’s disability services RIGHT AWAY. I didn’t even know I could do this until my senior year of college and I so regretted not having looked into it earlier, it seriously helped

-Do NOT overbook your schedule. Spread out your classes as much as you can. It is very important to manage stress with our illness and to not overburden ourselves. Take classes during summer and stuff too to lighten the load. Even if it takes you longer, it is better and can help you get better grades and avoid episodes.

-And then all the basic advice like keep up w mental health treatments, get good rest yada yada

Don’t let your illness decide your future!!

1 Like

I love this thank you so much for the advice! This was a big motivation and help! If I have any questions is it okay if I message you?

1 Like

Absolutely!! I’d be glad to be of help! :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks a lot!

1 Like

You could make such a difference in the field too, it really can mean the world to people struggling with these disorders to have someone who understands and does not judge listen to them. Even in the mental healthcare field there is a surprising amount of people who work in substance abuse and are mean and judgmental to those with those issues.

I wanna be a psychiatric nurse practitioner for similar reasons :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I know that experience I’ve had counselors that have judged me and haven’t given me the right counseling. I feel with my experience with substance abuse and mental health I can really reach out to people especially the youth!

5 Likes

I have 2 associate degrees. I got them a long time ago though, before I got sick.

Now I’m working on finishing up a third associate degree that’s a general transfer degree.

And then I plan on finishing up my bachelors degree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.