How many minutes does it take for an anti psychotic to begin to do effect as soon as you take it, if you're already in treatment for years?

How many minutes does it take for an anti psychotic to begin to do effect as soon as you take it, if you’re already in treatment for years?

1 Like

Depends on the drug. But in my experience the older APs work faster than the newer ones. 10mg of Haldol can start working in just a few minutes and knock you the hell out.

1 Like

@Sooner88

And Geodon, for example?

1 Like

No Idea, I’ve never taken Geodon.

1 Like

@Sooner88

And atypical antipsychotics, in general? Maybe 30-40 minutes?

1 Like

45 min to 2 hrs for me.

1 Like

How do you know the AP is working after just a few hours? It takes weeks for my symptoms to go away.

1 Like

It depends. But typically, Seroquel will make me drowsy and sleep (and fall asleep, sometimes, as long as 12 - 18 hours straight). 30 minutes to 2 hours, typically, and I need to lie down.

Then, when I wake up, I start feeling better energy level and concentration capability. As if the Seroquel puts me to asleep for as long as it takes to sort of “recharge.”

I kind of wish APs would work better for others, like my case. I’m not seeing too many (at least on this forum) that have designed success. Are some of these patients actually reading the main parts of the prescription information sheet that comes with your meds? I know it can be a long piece of paper, but you really should at least read the main parts. It will explain how the meds are supposed to be working.

1 Like

@Andy
How much Geodon do u Take…???

My pdoc said serequel has a huge component of antihistamine in it, so it’s not just working on The dopamine. Antihistamines make you sleepy.

2 Likes

Don’t most anti-psychotics have a sedative or “tranquilizing” effect? Before they had AP medication, didn’t they use Thorazine a long time ago? Bascially, to knock you out and put you to sleep.

I take 400 mg of Seroquel one time, daily. I think I read somewhere that what was it? Over 200 mg or over 300 mg and it works more like an AP.

1 Like

Nope, I have taken Latuda and vraylar, neither are sedating. I refuse to take those sedating ones.

2 Likes

@NiceHat

Which med are u on…???

Latuda …

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinkin’ the only other AP I’ve tried was Abilify and it didn’t make me drowsy. Instead, got a dystonic reaction from it which came to full effect after 24 hours of taking it.

1 Like

What’s dystonic mean ?

1 Like

Dystonic reaction, also known as Dystonia. I thought that it was like Tardive Dyskinesia, but I was mistaken. I think TD works more in the long term, years. Whereas Dystonia comes at you full force right away.

In my case it was an allergic reaction to Abilify. I think it was 10 mg.

I think a synonymous term relating to Dystonia is “lock jaw.” Lose control of movements of lower jaw/tongue, mainly. Extremely painful. Lose a little control of other certain upper-muscle movements, also. I remember I was at work and suddenly my arm was moving like a mechanical crane or something. I was starting to lose control. I had to leave early and then the next day Dystonia came at me, full force, with the jaw/tongue pain.

2 Likes

It was weird at the hospital. The injection of Benadryl cured the Dystonia immediately. But then I suddenly verbally communicated better, with more verbal volume. Unfortunately, that only lasted several minutes and I was back to some of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

I mentioned this to my doctor at the time and she just mentioned something about d2 receptors.

If I wasn’t allergic to Abilify, it could have worked better than the Seroquel, for my case, that is.

1 Like

@far_cry0

I take 80 mg, 2 times per day. So, 160 mg per day.

1 Like

I didn’t experience that level of severity with my jaw, but Abilify did cause my jaw to stiffen. Also caused twitching in my mouth and hands and a bunch of other unpleasant things. I don’t trust that med at all.

1 Like