How long is too long to take off sick at work for cold

I just not getting better…I got a cold Friday and it’s still there.

Some workplaces require a doctors note to come back after missing more than 3 days. So I always have thought 3 days is a good rule. But if you’re sick, you’re sick.

5 Likes

Technically I only missed two days. So tomorrow would be 3. As I had the weekend. And I don’t get paid sick cos it’s zero hours contract which means only get paid as I go. Still feel bad.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you are sick. Try not to feel guilty about missing work, it’s not your fault you caught the cold. They would probably prefer you stay home and not get them all sick anyway. Feel better lady.

1 Like

Yeah 3 days but depends on that medical certificate. For health it would seem a cold/flu usually takes a couple of days to pass. Better to get better to work and it’s a tough call. Hope the morning finds you better!

1 Like

One point of view is that staying home sick until you are clearly better, is a better idea than going in and spreading your sickness to your co-workers. A lot of people, including myself, think that working even when you’re sick is being a trouper and shows how dedicated you are to your job. But actually, productivity at a job might go down if a person comes back too early and spreads their illness to their co-workers who then have to stay home sick themselves.

2 Likes

I never missed work for a cold. I got strep throat once and missed a week.

1 Like

I started a new job on April 29th and I got sick two days before I started. I had to go in because I had no time off. I had an upper respiratory infection and a bad cough. I was sick at work for about two weeks.

Nobody else caught it. I only have 3 hours of sick time and 4 hours of vacation so far so I can’t even take 1 day off. I went to the dentist and used up 1 hour of sick time last week. This pay period I will earn another 4 hours of sick leave and vacation.

But if they let you off I would take it.

1 Like

The worst thing is I got it from a colleague who then told me to stay away from her the day when I thought I was getting it. As she didn’t want to get it again. Next day I was off.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.